Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been two days and I just realized I installed the queen cage with the side screens facing the foundation and the candy face down! I've read that the candy should face up OR down so I installed facing down thinking the bees would be more inclined to orient and chew upwards (hope the attendants don't block the entrance- didn't consider that) but didn't poke the candy. Having said all of that and realized two days after the fact....should I be concerned? I don't want to disturb the bees yet if I don't have to. Help!

This is my first package and I was feeling good until I realized this!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess my biggest concern is her starving and/or the other bees not receiving her scent/ interacting with her thus ending in rejection.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
With foundation you are fine. Try it with drawn comb and it might not work out so well, but there is plenty of space between the screen and the foundation for the bees to reach the screen.

It doesn't take them long to let her out in my limited experience.

Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. That sets my mind at ease. I'll probably check on them today to make sure. Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
The queen should be out on the third day. If not go ahead and release her. I like to install the screen perpendicular to the frames and candy hole up. If an attendant dies, she will fall to the bottom of the cage and not block the queen's exit.
Good luck and have fun with your new addiction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your advice and setting my mind at ease. I checked on the hive today and the queen is released! So far so good in the new bee yard!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts