Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'm wondering if there might be an issue.

I installed them on April 18th, and I was fortunate enough to get a couple drawn frames from a fellow beek in the area, so I was able to put 2 drawn frames into 2 separate hives (4 frames total). The queens, after being in there for a week had not been released yet, so I went ahead and did that, noting that there were no aggressive tendencies from the other bees. They crawled out onto the frames and looked like normal (with tending bees and the other ones giving her room to walk around, etc).

Now, since they have been in there a week without the queens laying, they have been filling those 2 drawn frames with syrup (from the feeders).

My question is: With them filling that comb already with syrup and the queens just being released, are they likely to abscond since the queens have nowhere to lay eggs right away?

They drew up some burr comb where I hung the queen cages (removed) so they are in the comb building mode, but i didnt notice much buildup of comb on the frames.

I'm unable to go out and check the hives during the week since they are 45 minutes away at my property, so I can't just look out my window and see if they are still there.

I'm in central Oklahoma. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that the rest of the frames have only foundation? If so, not to worry. Your girls will draw out the cells and the queen will lay. Also, I don't remember where I read this, queens can lay is partially built cells. How true that is, I don't know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the rest of the frames are plastic foundation. I am not too worried, as the bees seemed very gentle and quite content working the cells in the drawn frames.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
The time being shipped and in cages, the queens are off laying condition. As they come into condition and ready to lay, the workers will start drawing comb and the queen will start laying as the comb is drawn, yes. Not to worry, the nectar they've stored from your feeding will be used up quite quickly as comb drawing starts and the queen starts laying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts