Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to beekeeping and so is my brother. This is his hive, and he sent me a picture. This is a 26 day old package, it looks like a good start to me, but my question is, is that the queen in the right? I can't tell which one she would be but the grouping seems right (all inward facing). Thoughts? IMG_0815.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm still in the boat that they all look the same, I have to see their activity to figure out who is who.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The one on the corner is not a queen bee for the following reason:
1. She does not has the long extended body like a queen should bee.
2. The majority of the Italian queens will have a black spot on the end of their bodies.
3. Her thorax is not large enough to be a queen.
4. She stuck her tail up in a defensive/irritated position where as a queen's body is too
heavy to do that. A well mated laying queen is too heavy to even lift her body this way.
5. She is not surrounded by worker bees where ever she goes.
6. See the queen pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one on the corner is not a queen bee for the following reason:
1. She does not has the long extended body like a queen should bee.
2. The majority of the Italian queens will have a black spot on the end of their bodies.
3. Her thorax is not large enough to be a queen.
4. She stuck her tail up in a defensive/irritated position where as a queen's body is too
heavy to do that. A well mated laying queen is too heavy to even lift her body this way.
5. She is not surrounded by worker bees where ever she goes.
6. See the queen pics:
Beepro, the bees are suppose to be Russian "mutts" as described by the apiary. The are from a local apiary in Indian Head Maryland. Does that change your thoughts, or is everything else still enough?

I was so focused with the group that I never looked outside. I almost wish I didn't get my queen marked, I'm spending more time looking at my brothers bees (pictures) than mine!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I agree with Beepro on this one. That doesn't look like a queen to me. Yet, I do understand that sometimes the photos aren't clear enough to tell for sure.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
843 Posts
That looks like a drone to me, look at the eyes, they come together at the top of that bees head. Compare that bee with other drones in the pic, look the same size to me. Pic is a little fuzzy also. The only thing about that bee that does not look like a drone is its pointy tail, drones have a blunt or squared off fuzzy tail, a "pony tail" going on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Beepro some nice queen pics thanks

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I agree with both G3 and BW here. A mutt queen will have bigger and longer body than the one in the pic.
I have been able to graft and mark queens in a buzy bee season. 4 will be emerging within a few days and more is
coming soon. I can just scan the frames to pic out the big body queen from the rest. Queen is a queen
no matter what breeds they are. I can only give you my honest answer from what I see as well as others. Try to
look for the one that drag her body along the frame when she move.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts