Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got into the mid-50's but blowing 15 gusting 30 mph, hell I can do it--1st wrong move. The safari helmet only wants to blow in my way, my Wal-Mart bifocals (Should be tri) and I'm having a hell of a time focusing. Well at least my spray bottle is working so I hit all the frames except the queen one near bottom only. All the staples come out like they're #60 ring shanks except for the one in the queen cage, it comes off and box falls down in the bottom of the package. So I get that out and wedge it between the two center frames----yeah, wouldn't you know it, it falls down to the bottom board. Well leave it there, so I dump the package on the frames and work them in nice put my two warm mason jars of 1:1 and a qt baggie on the frames all nice and everything. Put a empty hive box on and stuff wadded newspaper in the spaces so they don't build comb all over hell and seal it up. I'm walking away, (You've probably already know!) I remember I didn't take the corks out of the queen cage. Back into it and take out a couple frames get the cage take drill candy end with nail (At least I make sure I don't stab the queen who's running around wondering "Who is this axx hole?"
Seal it all back up finally. I'll give them about a week and check for eggs, comb etc. This beekeeping is a lot of fun so far!

Fog

·
Registered
57 Posts
:thumbsup: Good for you! Never a dull moment, is there? Those experts make installing a package look so easy and calm. I made so many missteps. I tried to squeeze it in before a 4-H meeting (so I was rushed), I sprayed too much syrup (some of the bees got stuck and never made it out), I put the bees in before the queen, and worst of all, I let the kids watch. A bee flew into the face of the 4yo--she screamed that she was stung in the face (she wasn't) and that it was caught in her shirt (it wasn't).

I suppose we can comfort ourselves with the knowledge that our queens didn't fly away! Well, just wait until you see eggs.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey Fog,
You can count on the bees to do what they do! Don't worry, everything can be replaced if needed. Check for queen release in four days, if so remove the cage. Then leave them for a week. Most suppliers recommend keeping the feed on them for a complete month. They may not take the syrup below 50*. Are you starting on foundation only? Really, its a lot of fun and super interesting. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yeah 4 day queen release inspection and take the cage out and place it in front of the hive! I was gonna do my 2nd inspection in a week but after talking on the phone to Walter Kelleys about my queen not being marked they said to mise well wait 2 weeks, so i did and when i done the second inspection i seen eggs & larva...hahaha I took notice at the beginning the bees really wasnt hittin the brood patties much and i was gonna throw them away but i decided to keep them there and im glad i did cause now they are using it like crazy!...Good Luck with your bees!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts