Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my first package of bees yesterday. Successful in my eyes in the fact that the bees stayed in the hive when the sun went down. I decided to put the queen cage up top since the low last night was in the low 40s and wanted to make sure she stayed warm. Tonight and tomorrow, the lows are in the mid 50s. After much research, I decided to start out with foundationless frames. Should I move her down to the bottom? I don't want them to start to build comb off of her in between frames. Thanks for any and all help and advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
She will be fine where she's at. She should be released fairly quick so not enough time for the bees to build comb that would cause you any problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Should I move her down to the bottom? I don't want them to start to build comb off of her in between frames. Thanks for any and all help and advice.

I would be more concerned with the number of boxes you have with a new install. Typically when you install a package you let them build up about 6-7 frames before you put on a second box. How many boxes do you have on the hive now?...or maybe when you said..." I decided to put the queen cage up top .." you're talking about the location of the queen cage on the frame in a single box setup.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hello fellow Tennessean,

Don't stick her in the bottom of the box. Put inbetween the frames and let them release her thru the candy. Always have the candy end facing up. Only use one box and of course with foundationless keep the hive level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I only used one box. I have her between two frames in the middle of the hive. Sounds like I'm good with her there and will check in a few days to see she made it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good luck to you. I installed mine yesterday and today they were still here�� Not sure if I put my queen in with candy facing up though. Should I check to see or just wait??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts