Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my hives and about an hour later, I noticed that one hive had bees all over it and the other one was vacant. I checked inside and the unpopular hive still had a living queen in her cage, with her marshmallow and about 4-6 attendants but that's it. In the other hive, the queen cage had fallen to the bottom of the box. I picked it up and it had a few non-queens in it. The bottom of the box was covered with bees, not really able to locate the queen.

I took some of the popular frames and swapped them out with some of the empty frames in the vacant box assuming that both still have viable queens.

It has not yet been even 12 hours since I've installed my packages, but I'm concerned that either I'm going to only have 1 hive (which would be ok) or I messed everything up and will have no hives (not ok).

Advice?

annie

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

I think you are on the right track. You may not be successful in getting them to stay in the weaker hive, (they may return to the stronger hive) but I don't think you have hurt anything by moving frames back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts