Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Not a totally new beekeeper (maybe five years), but I did a stupid thing when installing a 3 pound package bee set.

Instead of putting in the screen in the top slot, I put it on the bottom shelf. And so, my package bees are using only the back entrance (facing a northwest direction) rather than the prescribed entrance. The package bees have accepted the queen and she was laying eggs by day five of installation.

However, the bees continue to use the "wrong entrance."

Do I worry about this?

If I need to worry about this, what do I do? Put in the bottom screen in the correct slot (top) at night and hope that the colony will adjust? Or something else?

Feeling sheepish.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I apologize but I am having trouble understanding. Can you post a photo or two?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm not understanding either. I don't know what slot or shelf and screen you have.
But, if you make the adjustments, the bees will figure it out.
I've repositioned a hive by rotating it 90 degrees. For a day or so, the bees go to the same spot the entrance used to be, piling up on what is now the side of the hive. But they figure it out within a day or two and all is well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not understanding either. I don't know what slot or shelf and screen you have.
But, if you make the adjustments, the bees will figure it out.
I've repositioned a hive by rotating it 90 degrees. For a day or so, the bees go to the same spot the entrance used to be, piling up on what is now the side of the hive. But they figure it out within a day or two and all is well.
I'll try to explain, as the bees have gone into the hive for the night. Instead of using the proper front of the hive to go in and out (where you would put an entrance reducer), they are using the opposite end, as that is basically open for them. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow when they are flying.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
It sounds like you have a bottom board the is not standard in it's construction. Regardless, the short answer is to reconfigure it in the evening while all the bees are in the hive. They will reorient to the correct entrance in the morning.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do you mean your bottom board is upside down?
Do you mean your bottom board is backwards? Opening to the opposite direction you intended? Maybe upside down and backwards?

Either way, just move the boxes off, fix the bottom board, and restack the boxes. The bees will be confused for a day or so and congregate at the first entrance site they were using, but will quickly figure it out and settle back into their routine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts