Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three packages to install that were picked up today(by a family member of mine). I wouldn't be able to install them until 9 pm tonight(after dark). Would it be okay to keep them in my garage overnight and do it first thing in the morning? I plan on brushing syrup on the screen in case the can is low inside the package. If they were kept in over night, is there anything else I should do? Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yep, that works. Just keep them dark, dry, and relatively warm and they should do fine overnight. The syrup on the screen is a good idea.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have three packages to install that were picked up today(by a family member of mine). I wouldn't be able to install them until 9 pm tonight(after dark). Would it be okay to keep them in my garage overnight and do it first thing in the morning? I plan on brushing syrup on the screen in case the can is low inside the package. If they were kept in over night, is there anything else I should do? Thanks, juzzer
I installed my packages in the dark, just use a red light. They don't fly much in the dark so it is less stressful on you and the bees. We don't even spray with syrup and if you don't have a red light put red tape over the lens of a flashlight. This method was recommended to me by my bee supplier, they have 4000 hives and do it that way. Look at the photo captions: http://www.scandiahoney.com/packaged-bees

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for your quick responses. I thought about keeping the bees in the garage overnight but decided to install them around midnight last night. I will have to agree the red light was way better than using the whitelight. The white light seemed to stir them up a lot more causing them to fly around. Installing in complete darkness with just a small flashlight was quite a fun experience. I think I might do it again next time I need to install a package. Worst part about the installation was that I got zapped right on the eyelid! Thanks again to the both of you. juzzer

·
Registered
194 Posts
Worst part about the installation was that I got zapped right on the eyelid! Thanks again to the both of you. juzzer
:eek:

It is these times I am glad I wear glasses. I cannot even begin to imagine how painful that was. Glad it all 'worked' out in the end, but ouch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts