Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a 5 frame medium nuc at the end of the month. This will be my first hive, and I'm not sure which way to go. I have a double medium nuc and an 8 frame medium setup.

Would it be better to install the 5 medium frames directly into an 8 frame medium, or add a second medium box to the nuc and let the bees fill that before moving to an 8 frame setup?

Which way would be better and why?

Thanks,
Saressa

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
When the double is filled out with 10 frames and you move it to the 8 frame, what will you do with the extra 2 frames?

And yes, you can go right from the nuc to the 8 frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put 6 in one medium and 4 in another medium on top? Just wondered if they'd build up quicker in a smaller space. Or would the eventual move to the 8 frame actually set them back moreso than just putting them in it from the start.

Saressa

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Put 6 in one medium and 4 in another medium on top?

You have ten frames or five? Not sure I understand.

> Just wondered if they'd build up quicker in a smaller space.

In my experience yes, but the difference between eight and ten frames isn't that big. If you have the eight frame, I'd use that. If you have the five frame nucs, I'd use that.

> Or would the eventual move to the 8 frame actually set them back moreso than just putting them in it from the start.

Not really. It's not that big of an adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the confusion, I was answering iddee. What I have is a double 5 frame nuc and 8 frame supers, all from Brushy Mountain --- the nuc boxes and supers are all mediums so everything is compatible in size.

One more question. If I put the 5 brood frame nuc that I'm buying into my double nuc, should I put all five frames in the bottom box to start, or split it up, say 3 brood frames with 2 frames of foundation in the bottom and the remaining 2 brood frames with 3 frames of foundation in the second box on top?

Hope I'm making sense. Thanks for the help.
Saressa

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
There's not going to be a measurable difference in build-up either way, but it would be easier to work a single 8 than a double 5. I would still go with the 8 from the single 5. Also, a double 5 may be more precarious in a high wind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts