Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an art to inspecting a multi brood box hive without all the squished bees when putting the hive back together.

Tried everything I can think of like pushing or brushing them off the top of the sides. They just keep coming out. Also tried setting the upper box on a corner of a lower box and sliding it over the top of the other. This pushing the bees to the end, but still have squished bees at the ends from getting caught between the layers whey you even the ends up.

I am always concerned the queen will pop up on the top edge and I won't see her and she will get squished.

Any suggestions or is this just normal?

·
Registered
327 Posts
A little smoke will make them retreat into the hives, but just for a second. I also slide them back on the last inch or so, and can watch the top of the lower box to minimize the damage. Still end up with a few casualties.

Usually queens like the dark and won't climb up top. But there are exceptions. The risk is small.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Watch a commercial beek once and you will never worry about the numbers you squish again! I put them on at and angle and twist them to reduce the number of dead bees, but with a heavy box it is hard to do that.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If the boxes aren't too heavy, I have success by lowering the box slowly and rotating it slowly back and forth as the gap closes. The box comes to rest and is rotated a few degrees, and then is put into proper alignment, again slowly. I do smash bees once in a while, but not every time.

If the boxes are too heavy, I do my best.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I usually set my box down like a book. The front side first and then slowly lower the back side. They move out of the way as it goes down. I sometimes squish a couple but usually rare.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is there an art to inspecting a multi brood box hive without all the squished bees when putting the hive back together.

Tried everything I can think of like pushing or brushing them off the top of the sides. They just keep coming out. Also tried setting the upper box on a corner of a lower box and sliding it over the top of the other. This pushing the bees to the end, but still have squished bees at the ends from getting caught between the layers whey you even the ends up.

I am always concerned the queen will pop up on the top edge and I won't see her and she will get squished.

Any suggestions or is this just normal?
Oh I feel your pain! Try doing it with your hyper-sensitive nine year old daughter! " dad ! Dad! Dad! Oh no dad you killed one whaaaaa!"seriously she's still mad at me from the first time it happened! Sorry but I think it's just going to happen now and again. It did seem to help to say," hey riley look over there there's a bald eagle! ( put box down gently and slide gently forward) " it wasn't?! How bout a ice cream?, ok let's go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts