Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week when I checked the hives everything seems to be OK. After the inspection I noticed some drones being booted along with pupa. Went on for a few days. Didn't think much about it because others were seeing drone booted as well.

Today I did the inspection and was disturbed at what I didn't find. One hive seems to be OK but the other had few larva it did have some capped brood as well as drones running around and capped drone cells. I didn't see the queen but their were no queen cells in the hive at all.

First thing I found was this. I did see 5 or 6 hive SHB but after I get it done and was looking at the pictures I came to realize that I think this is a wax moth larva? I'm I right or is it SHB larva.

Not sure what to do, pull every frame and look very close and remove any comb that is infected or let it go and let the bee's handle it. The package is 8 weeks old now. Everything was going well till now.

Forgot I did a sugar roll on both hives with a half cup of bee's. 2 mites in the other hive and the problem hive zero mites.

I can't do anything about it till Monday because I will be out of town all weekend. Any and all advise is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

And the dead pupa.

Here you can see the cells were chewed up.

One nice thing was I saw a worker emerging.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know they could get in with an active hive. I thought it was always in dormant comb.
You think I should go in and remove what I can?

Greg

·
Registered
640 Posts
It doesn't have to bee dormant, just weak. Do you have other hives? Moths can take over the hive faster than you think, they did on a few of mine. Get rid of what you can-check every frame-get rid of extra frames not being used or covered by bees. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Easiest way I've found to determine activity is an inspection board. There poo is typically a small dark pellet. The very strongest hives will push them out. Even medium hive will have a larva of too, problems occur too when the hive has far too much comb that they can actively use.

The main culrpit is slotted top and bottom bars. They serve as hidding spots for both beetles and moths. Do not buy them at any cost.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easiest way I've found to determine activity is an inspection board. There poo is typically a small dark pellet. The very strongest hives will push them out. Even medium hive will have a larva of too, problems occur too when the hive has far too much comb that they can actively use.

The main culprit is slotted top and bottom bars. They serve as hiding spots for both beetles and moths. Do not buy them at any cost.
These are both new hives and fresh foundation or foundationlees frames. All the comb drawn is what they have done. If we don't get the rain I'm going into both hives tomorrow and rid of what I can and do a better job of inspecting. Being new and not really knowing what to look for is probably what got me into this mess. A few weeks back I so some really dark to black stuff in the cells. I thought pollen because they were bring in some almost black pollen. If its still there I will look at those cells much closer.

Greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Im sorry but this isnt related at all to your question but when im looking at the 2nd photo in the center of the image does anyone else see a mans face with sunglasses on? Its on the bees back. Lol, maybe im nuts but zoom in on it..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luckily the weather held this morning and I was able to inspect the hives again, I went in with the intention to rid the hives of was moth larva. Well to my surprise I think the bee's to care of it. Looked very close and did not see one larva. All the chewed up comb has been repaired and I saw young larva in both hives. Saw the queen in one of them, so may be my bee's are stronger than I think. Will not loon into them now till labor day weekend. Thanks for the help.

Greg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im sorry but this isnt related at all to your question but when im looking at the 2nd photo in the center of the image does anyone else see a mans face with sunglasses on? Its on the bees back. Lol, maybe im nuts but zoom in on it..
Yeah, I see it too. Pretty neat. I think it's the top of the bee's head not the back. But it could be.
The "nose" and "mustache" really make it look like a face. Pretty cool effect!
He got the camera angle and lighting just right

·
Registered
52 Posts

The main culrpit is slotted top and bottom bars. They serve as hidding spots for both beetles and moths. Do not buy them at any cost.
That's interesting. All of my frames are slotted bottom bars, and I notice that one of the first things the bees do is fill those slots with wax and propolis. I do nail those bottom slots closed when I first put them in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, I didn't at first, but when I played "Stairway to Heaven" backwards on my turntable, I saw it! :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just noticed this, if you look in the third picture in the center just a tick below center. Does that look like a SHB larva to you. It does to me because it has what looks like little legs on it.

Greg

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I can see enough of one frame to tell, do you have any picture that are of the whole frame. Also I did not see and new open larva do you have any you can post?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can see enough of one frame to tell, do you have any picture that are of the whole frame. Also I did not see and new open larva do you have any you can post?
Thats all I have.

Greg

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Your pattern looks spotty, it might just be because that’s the last of the brood to hatch out. A picture of the full frame will better show the story.

No open larva, no queen cells, they may have swarmed/absconded and the new virgin did not make it back.

It looks too late and too few bees to do anything with it. I would combine with another hive, and keep an eye on out for a spotty brood pattern of your other hives to rule out disease.

Looks like a wax moth in both pictures. But that not the problem. Just taking advantage of a hive with a low population. The strongest hives have moths and beetles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts