Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was re-reading some of Dewey Caron's "Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping" and I read that (complete) inspections should be done from the bottom up.

I haven't always done that... Once I stopped to think about it, it's obvious that that it is less disruptive.

I read Caron's book three years ago... I guess you can also "relearn" something new every day. :)

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Yup, I always do a complete inspection from bottom to top. If I do a quick check it's just the hive body below any supers. For me, a complete inspection is pulling the top cover and placing it on the ground. The top most hive body gets placed on that and the next one on the first (I use three mediums for most of my colonies). The inner cover gets placed on those two boxes. That leaves the bottom hive body ready to inspect. I tip up to look at the bottom of the frames and while I have it tipped up I quickly clean off the screened bottom board. Then, I inspect, manipulate, etc. Then, I take the inner cover off the other stack and place it on the box I just checked. That gives me a chance to inspect the second box. If I sugar dust, I then dust the bottom box first, move the middle box back since that's been inspected already and immediately dust that one. Then, I place the top box back on. I quickly inspect (usually, that's the box that has had the most recent "quick" inspections anyway) and then dust that top box. Supers (if any) go back on along with covers and I'm done. Things start to pick up speed when you sugar dust so you having a good routine makes it easier.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Just make sure you have a vail on when you stick your face up to the bottom entrance to check things out. :lookout:

·
Registered
68 Posts
lol right Love the quote btw...the Duke had some good ones. I liked the movie where he slaps the crap out of his son for talkin back to a native american woman and then says "sorry ma'am, slight oversight in his upbringin'."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts