Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent opened the hive for about 2 weeks. It consists of 2 deeps. Last time I looked the bottom deep was full brood/honey/pollen, and had just put my second deep on about a week before. It had 2 or 3 frames basically filled out and the rest were empty or less then half filled out. Today when I opened it the top deep was full except for one frame on the outside. 4 of the frames were completely full of honey the other 5 were a mix of brood comb and honey on the top of the frames. Also tons of eggs, so queen was doing well 3 days ago anyway. I went ahead and added an excluder and another deep with frames on top. I know most people use shallows or medium supers but all I had was frames for a deep and Im in good shape and a big dude so I can handle it if it happens to get full before its time to come off this winter. The super I added also has an entrance bored in it so that should help with the ventilation as it is getting hot up here in Michigan. I sprayed the frames liberally with sugar water tons of bees, nothing seems amiss. Anything else I need to do? This is my first hive ever. Thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You might want to pull the excluder for a few days, until they get used to the idea of another box. After they start drawing comb, you can put it back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so inspected hive today for first time since I added the excluder and honey super. Honey super has about 3-4 frames of capped honey and all but one is getting drawn out. Took that super off and checked top brood box just pulled one frame, and it had eggts so didnt go any farther into hive. Put it all back together.
Now for questions. Do most of you wait until all your frames are full of capped honey before harvesting? Im in Central Michigan, is the Fall flow still upcoming? If it is I need to get some more frames etc. I think the ladies will have this super full in another couple weeks if they stay on this pace. Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Roughneck,
It sounds like you're bees are doing wonderfully. Have you at all considered making a split or a nuc? You've probabaly got 8-10 weeks of good weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts