Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was inspecting two new packages today, i saw some things I did not know what they were, i took some pics hoping you all could help me understand what I was looking at. The first pic looks like what I would think a queen cell would look like, the second looks like an over grown larva hanging out of a cell with bees trying to cap it, i could not get the second pic to upload. image.jpg

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
The one centered near the bottom sure looks like a queen cell to me. Awful low for a supercedure cell but that is probably what it is.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Yup. Found three in my package hive today, just under three weeks from installation. They didn't like her for some reason. I wanted to move some brood over, but it was too cold and windy when I got the bees (and below freezing at night for the next week).

Not all that uncommon with package bees, the bees seem to think there is something wrong with the queen because there is no brood and replace her as soon as she starts laying.

Peter

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Not much you really can do sir. They are not going to swarm unless way more crowded than they look and you may end up with two queens laying for a while. About 20% of hives do have two queens many say. I don't know because I don't look for them, I just look for eggs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts