Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the simplicity of this question but I have not found an answer in my books or online. I added a second deep box on my three hives a week ago. When i inspect the hives should inspect both boxes - brood chambers, or just the top one? I am concerned about disturbing the hive too much and I feel I can see what is happening by just examining the frames of the top boxes but I am a new beek.

Also, when I remove the frames in the new top brood chamber, the middle frames are attached to the frames below. Should I remove these comb burs (i hope that's the right name) to keep weekly inspections easy. I am afraid of crushing bees or the queen when I put the frames back. This time I smoked them a little to clear them out before I put the frames back.

thanks very much!

·
Registered
77 Posts
The bee inspector told me to leave the bottom box alone and inspect the top box every 2 weeks. If I suspect there is something wrong then go into the second box. He explained that disturbing the hive too often is the #1 reason new beeks fail. And he explained when the main hive is disturbed, it takes weeks for the colony to get the cracks and so forth re sealed and the colony resettled.
Made sense to me. I watch the comb being drawn in the top box. If I see not activity in a couple weeks, I will remove that box to inspect the next box.
I do this once about every 2-3 months on the lowest box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts