Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most resources say we should remove a wall frame (#1) on starting an inspection. I've heard elsewhere that it's better to remove frame #2 - something about less chance of crushing bees when the frame is put back (frame-to-frame versus frame-to-wall). Any ideas/experience with this? Thx

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've always removed an outer-most frame first.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I find that the frame against the side can have attachments that can tear the comb. I almost always start with the next one in, or a frame that looks convenient.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I find that the frame against the side can have attachments that can tear the comb. I almost always start with the next one in, or a frame that looks convenient.
:thumbsup: Yes! If if I find bridges to the top bar on the second frame I use the J hook to pull them out and press them into the top bar so they dont scrape the comb as I lift that second frame out. The wall frame often has bridges all the way down the side of the box.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I pull the frame next to the wall first. I can't tell you how many times I found the queen on the second frame it seems to happen a lot to me. So if you are worried about rolling the queen pull the first frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts