Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any rule of thumb for how long a hive should be opened during an inspection? Obviously the less the better of course, but wondering what the experienced beekeepers out there do in terms of inspections and how long they typically keep it opened before closing it back up. I suppose it might also hinge on the weather...

Registered
I generally try to keep it open only as long as needed. Weather, temp, windy, etc. all have an effect and its still pretty cold in the Pacific NW. We had our first few really decent days over this last weekend in the mid 60's that you would have also seen up north there. Mostly though, I work through in my head what I need to do in each hive before I do anything ..(I keep a hive diary and make notes from previous visits of what I did and what needs done on the next inspection), get my equipment, feed, patty's, or whatever all sorted, before I start. That way I keep the hive open the least amount of time. First thing I do though, is just observe from the outside for a while....I don't go in too deep unless something tells me I need to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts