Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I should tell you that I haven't been in very good health the last few years, so my bees survived on their own. Todays the first inspection made in three years. Of course everything was glued down and burr comb everywhere! All three of my hives which survived these years are from swarms. All the ones from purchased queens were lost. I don't treat my hives and I'm on natural cell size. I'm sure they've all swarmed each and every year for the last three years.

First hive, from a July swarm 5 years ago doing great. Didn't go through the bottom box. I'll do that next week. Checkerboarded the honey super and pulled some frames for splits that I'm putting in bought queens tomorrow. Didn't see the queen, but suspect she's in the bottom box.

Second hive, from a swarm 4 years ago. Got knocked over in the spring. They were were not happy being moved to a new hive stand and put back together. Got my first sting from them. I'll have to do a cut out on it tomorrow as they've drawn comb outside of the frames and through the frames.

Third hive, from a swarm 6 years ago. Doing great. I went threw all the boxes and found the queen in the bottom box, a nice yellow one. Checkerboarded the honey supers and pulled some frames for the splits. Got my second and final sting from them on the thumb when I grabbed a frame. They were head butting me by the end of it as I had to scrap a lot of honey filled burr comb as I went through it and rebuilt it, placing it on the new hive stand. It took a while. There is still a flow going on, so I hope I didn't trigger any robbing. Of course opening all of the hives today may have given them all something to do at their own hive.

I'm hoping to pull some honey off of them this year. I need to do a thorough cleaning of the hives. It was hard to get the frames out. I'd also like to get all of the brood nest frames replaced with new ones. Next week I may have to shake some bees into the splits I made or move another frame of brood with nurse bees into each split.

Oh, I forgot to mention that all of these hives were buried in blackberry vines. I've been cutting them down for a week now, just to get to the hives. Being chronically sick sucks, and not in a positive, life affirming way. I hope to be feeling better for a while now.

Now, I'm off to buy some rubber bands for tomorrow's cut out.

Oh, what are tags and is there a list of standard ones I should be using?

Pugs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
glad to have you back. been a lttle under the weather myself for the last 4 years, and its surprising the energy it takes (and i took for granted before) to work hives, especially in the heat.
good luck,mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cut out turned out to be cutting off some honeycomb. I went through one of the boxes, found the queen, moved some frames up to a new box and added some which will hopefully give her some new comb for laying in. Removed a bunch of burr comb. I'll wait a few weeks and check back in and see how they are doing.

Most of the old comb has grass in it. I did see one moth larvae, but it got away before I could kill it. I do hope the girls will take care of it now that their home is sealed up from the weather.

Tonight I go add the new queens to the splits.

Mike and swat, thanks for the well wishes. It is nice to be back.

Pugs
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top