Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is so hot, I was wondering if it is good idea to use syrup feeder and put there water instead, then put this feeder on top of the frames?
Will bees take that water?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,884 Posts
To be honest, I don't know. The bees will take water from just about anything outside the hive. Wet mulch in a garden, a leaking water spigot, an upside down trashcan lid, you name it. I have a birdbath with rocks in it that I use to give the bees water. It is located in the center of the apiary.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Since it is so hot, I was wondering if it is good idea to use syrup feeder and put there water instead, then put this feeder on top of the frames?
Will bees take that water?
Dunno - but it might be worth trying. Suggest you add something to the water to give it a taste - a small amount of sugar perhaps, or a tiny amount (no more) of salt - or even soak some nettles in water and add some of the resulting green goo.
LJ

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
might increase moisture in the hive forcing them to spend energy fanning. just put it outside near the hive with plenty of floating things. they will find it if they need it. if they have a natural source they are using they will stick with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts