Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm starting to keep bees. I plan to keep them on my 1 acre garden. I will have two hives. There is alot more land from them to fly and collect pollen and nectar.

My question for all of you more experienced beekeepers is: If I use Captain Jacks Dead Bug Brew (http://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/252/captain-jacks-deadbug-brew-conc) or Bonide Organic Bacillus Thuringiensis Concentrate (http://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/802/thuricide-bacillus-thuringiensis-bt-conc) will that hurt the bees?

If no harm can it be done by any of sprays, please let me know that. Also if one of those sprays or both are going to hurt the bees, tell me which one is less harmful to bees and please tell me why? In case that both sprays are harmful, please suggest what can I use to get rid of unwanted pests, such as Colorado potato Beetle, Corn Earworms,... yet not destroy bees?

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance, :)

Stefanely

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Those products are not for any of the pests that effect bees. please do not use them. Check out the Disease/Pest section in the forum and you will learn about what you need. J

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the responses. But there was a misunderstanding.

I was not asking are the two liquids good for defending bees from pests that attack them. I was asking will they be hut alot or they wont be affected if I spray vegetables in the garden. Because if you do not spray corn and potatoes, but other vegetables too you will not get any fruit to harvest.

So, if I spray any of these liquids will the bees be affected (will they die) or not? If you have any other spray for suggestion please let me know.

Best regards,
Stefanely

P.S. When I said I would spray vegetables, I mean I would spray them before they get flowers. To my understanding, bees are attracted to flowers. So if I spray the leafs and stems of the plants before the flowers come, bees should not be affected. Let me know if that is true? Many thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Not familiar with the Dead Bug Brew but Bt is target specific for caterpillars like corn ear worm, leaf roller worm, web worms, etc. and, from my experience, shouldn't harm bees. When using any pesticides, If you follow the directions and use early or late in the day when bees are not as active, you have a better chance of not affecting bees. Read the directions carefully and see if it specifically gives a warning about the effects on honey bees.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood what you said Stefanley. I agree with the others, but of course all doubt would be removed if you did not spray. Many people do not use pesticides/herbicides and have great success. I have the occasional bug damage, but its no big deal and I can eat my veggies while I weed without a thought about poisoning myself. Give it a try! J

·
Registered
89 Posts
spray in the evening, after the bees have quit flying, and do not spray the flowers. That way the spray will have dried before the bees access it, and by not spraying the flowers, the bees wont get it.

david

Thank you both for the responses. But there was a misunderstanding.

I was not asking are the two liquids good for defending bees from pests that attack them. I was asking will they be hut alot or they wont be affected if I spray vegetables in the garden. Because if you do not spray corn and potatoes, but other vegetables too you will not get any fruit to harvest.

So, if I spray any of these liquids will the bees be affected (will they die) or not? If you have any other spray for suggestion please let me know.

Best regards,
Stefanely

P.S. When I said I would spray vegetables, I mean I would spray them before they get flowers. To my understanding, bees are attracted to flowers. So if I spray the leafs and stems of the plants before the flowers come, bees should not be affected. Let me know if that is true? Many thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Stefanely, not sure how far it is to their meetings for you but you might consider joining NIBA. (Northern Illinois Beekeepers Association)
Am a member of CEIBA (Central Eastern Illinois Beekeepers Association).
Don't try doing this all on your own. There are people and resources available and it'd be a good idea to go to the NIBA meetings, introduce yourself, and maybe meet someone in your town that has bees. Having a close contact is very very helpful.

Welcome to Bee Source.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Contact your local County Agricultural Extension Service office. They will (should) have recommendations on what works locally.

Master Gardeners are also a great resource.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts