Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow beekeepers,

My inner cover has its normal hole in the center but does not have a notch in the side for the bees to exit. Do I need one? :scratch:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Well, if you want the bees to be able to enter and exit through the top vent then yes you need a notch. The notch also helps ventilation a little bit. I have #8 mesh screen stapled over the holes in my inner covers and have cut another 70mm hole to go with the original oblong one. The bees can not use the vents/notches for exits because of the screen. I place inverted mason jar feeders on these screens if/when I feed. You need to cover the feeder jars with another super and the covers when you feed like this. I like feeding this way as you can check the syrup without worrying about the bees flying up at you. The extra hole in the inner cover helps with ventilation. Even with a notch there's not much air flow so I lay a small piece of ~3/8" wood between the top cover and inner cover on the inner cover's rim to create a nice gap and increase ventilation...but I'm down here in the hot, humid south and it may be different where you live (I also use screened bottom boards).

If you want a top entrance, either cut a notch or prop the outer cover up a tad, if you don't want a top entrance then screen over the hole and either cut the notch or prop the outer cover if you need the ventilation.

Best wishes,
Ed

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
As bees consume their winter stores in a cluster, they need to rid the hive of the moisture they don't need from the honey. A hole in the inner cover or top super will aid the bees in getting the moisture out of the hive. So, yes, I like a hole up there in summer and winter. The size and location of the hole is up to you. :)

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
To me it is a vent but the bees can use it as they wish. I lost a hive because it was't there through one of our winters so I will always have a notch in the inner cover. I do not screen it or the feeder hole if there is one.

·
Registered
475 Posts
"I have #8 mesh screen stapled over the holes in my inner covers and have cut another 70mm hole to go with the original oblong one. "

Why? the oblong vent is there for the specific purpose, maybe rarely used for it, of taking a bee esacape for clearing the honey supers. Even if you don't use it for the original purpose why would you make another hole for a feeder when your method of feeding with an inverted mason jar works fine on the original oblong, think really oval, hole and why would you screen them? as it/they provide through ventilation and also a secondary entrance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I tried stapling window screen on the vents of the inner covers on my hives last year to help with ventilation. By the end of the summer the bees had covered and closed the screen with propolis. I just put a thin piece of plywood over the vents now and use the holes in the inner cover to smoke the hives before opening them up.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Hey fellow beekeepers,

My inner cover has its normal hole in the center but does not have a notch in the side for the bees to exit. Do I need one? :scratch:

Most of my inner covers have the notches enlarged (about an inch wide) and they are kept notch-down year round. My homemade inner covers have about a 2" dia hole cut in the center.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
"I have #8 mesh screen stapled over the holes in my inner covers and have cut another 70mm hole to go with the original oblong one. "

Why? the oblong vent is there for the specific purpose, maybe rarely used for it, of taking a bee esacape for clearing the honey supers. Even if you don't use it for the original purpose why would you make another hole for a feeder when your method of feeding with an inverted mason jar works fine on the original oblong, think really oval, hole and why would you screen them? as it/they provide through ventilation and also a secondary entrance.
Why?...because that's how *I* do it little Peter. The answers to your questions are in my original post...go back and read it. BTW, I know what a porter escape is. The holes in my inner covers came with oblong holes...oblong has parallel sides, oval doesn't...google it. I detect an odd condescending attitude in your questioning...thus, my response.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
A couple twigs, one on each of two corners of the inner cover, works just as well for ventilation. Just make sure they're smaller'n beespace.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I detect an odd condescending attitude in your questioning...thus, my response.
I guess you're probably not used to communicating with people from over the pond, our English sometimes comes over differently.
I reread the post and the only reason I see for the screen is to stop the bees flying up at you when you change the mason jars. I feed the same way and have never had that issue, however I don't make another hole for the feeder jar as placing a couple of bits of scrap hole at the sides of the vent hole allows a 1/2 gallon jar to sit above the hole, lets the bees reach the pierced lid and still allows full ventilation. Guess it's everybody to their own thing.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Most inner covers in my yard have the staple on the outer strip protrudeing. this gives a space for air between the covers., if nut we make a bunch of saw cuts in the rim (around the staples)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts