Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just purchased a mann lake top feeder,my question is,where should i put my inner cover? Should it go below the feeder or place it on top.I haven't got my bees yet but want all my ducks in a row Also i watched a youtube video of DC beekeeper brewing up a concoction of bee tea,it seemed to make a lot of sense rather than just plain sugar water,has anyone tried this brew???

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn't use an inner cover with a hive top feeder - the feeder should look like an inner cover from the bottom. Indeed, the hives I am building, which will have upper entrances, have the hive top feed and and inner cover combined.

I think, however, that the Mann Lake top feeder sits either on top of the inner cover or a shim.

It is always good to come to understand the purpose of each part of a hive. For example, the primary purpose of an inner cover is to prevent the top being propolized on so tight that it cannot be removed. Other purposes are to provide ventilation and to reduce the chances of condensation forming and dripping on the bees.

On the feeding question, it might be good to stick to convention until you have some successes with your bees then get "creative" if you wish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tonysea,

Put your inner cover in storage. Do not use it with the feeders. I have Mann Lake feeders. Using an inner cover with them opens your hive to robbing, via the notch. You will be feeding every bee in the neighborhood. I did, once.

Good luck with your bees,

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If that inner cover has a notch in it, you will soon be feeding every hive in the neighborhood, which will induce the visiting bees to rob out your hive.

No inner cover, or at least push the telescoping cover back to cover the notch. I've vote for no inner cover, it's not necessary if you have a hive-top feeder in place.

The Kelley molded plastic feeder has a nice screen to keep the bees inside the hive, but opening the top in any way simply causes you to acquire drowned bees and encourages robbing.

Peter

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone,my inner cover does not have a notch in it,my concern was that the girls would draw under the molded plastic of the feeder itself,i figured the hand hole in the inner cover was enough for bees to get to the feeder without having drawn comb under it,i will try without and see what they do,thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts