Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AHHHHH!!!

I was doing a hive inspection today and while doing it, I saw what looked like the queen outside on the grass.

Upon closer inspection, it was the queen and it was injured (aka had some of it's guts hanging out of the abdomen). I picked it up and put it back inside.

I definitely have to replace the queen now right??

Also, should I buy a queen to replace it,
or
let the hive do it's own thing and maybe let it raise a new queen,
or
will the hive just keep the original queen for now??

also,
I tried foundationless with this hive and I don't think I'm going to do it again. The frames were built out too thick and deep and became more work than it was worth.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The queen is finished. Sounds like you probably rolled her pulling the frame she was on, as you noted the "thick" comb probably facilitated this to some degree. One of three options at this point 1) buy a mated queen, 2) add a cell if you can find one, 3) let them make their own queen. You can search all of these options here on beesource for more info. Good luck

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
If the hive is strong, I'd just let the bees make their own queen to replace her. It will disrupt the mite brood cycle, and give you a fresh young queen for next year.

The frames were built out too thick and deep and became more work than it was worth.

The only thick, deep frames I have seen in the broodnest were a result of improper spacing. If you space the frames too far apart, they draw out the honey storage cells thicker at the top of the frame, and when they make drones at the bottom of the frames it is very easy to kill the queen.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yup, you rolled her. Frost, when you do an inspection, alway do what you can to take one frame out of the hive and set it aside. This ensure you have enough space so you can space one frame, remove another, On a super, i remove 2 frames due to spacing. When your doing your inspections and you are deep into one, you need to see if you can learn to find the queen. I ALWAYS make sure i am looking for her on a deep inspection and when i find her, I carefully put that frame back where it was, then space it over the the area where i removed the frame....so i know exactly the vicinity she is in. I have been lucky and not rolled one, but boy i ALMOST did one time.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the "guts" were hanging out her rear end, that may have been a virgin returning from a mating flight! The guts would be the sperm sac from the drone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When replacing your frames after inspection, do you push all the frames to one end so there is space at the other for first frame removal, or do you center the stack in the middle of the box. I dont want to hijack his post but ive been wondering this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Letting them raise their own queen seems like it'd be good. But since it's already August 6th and doesn't it take about a month for a new queen to get up and running? Won't that not leave enough time for preparations for winter?

Also, if I were to let them raise their own queen, should I leave the hive alone for now and then check on it in a week?

When I did the inspection, I directly took off the top hive body and put it on the flipped outer cover. And somehow I slightly squished the queen.

The "guts" on the queen were "guts". It had already been laying since I got the hive as a nuc in late-May. Also the guts were on the side of the queen, not the tip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd advise you to buy a queen. You're absolutely correct that it's a bit late to requeen "naturally". Besides that, your hive's population will be so low that it won't be able to make much of the fall nectar flow. And anytime the population dips, it's a risk for diseases and (more commonly) pests like SHB and wax moths that they can keep at bay normally.

That's my opinion, anyway!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If the "guts" were hanging out her rear end, that may have been a virgin returning from a mating flight! The guts would be the sperm sac from the drone.
Am i the only ione cringing thinking about that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I ordered a new queen and going to pick it up soon.

I was trying to find the old injured queen and couldn't find it anywhere on the 20 frames. Is it possible that it already died, since the hive wasn't very aggressive?

Also, I found a bunch of queen cells. When I introduce the new queen, should I remove the queen cells? Or will the new queen take care of them?

Also, for curiosity's sake, since I heard about royal jelly being super healthy and what not, I tried some, and it tasted sort of spicy or something. Not very tasty like honey...

·
Registered
723 Posts
If you found a bunch of queen cells, then odds are she is dead and they are trying to make a new one.
When I place a bought queen, I usually go thru and pinch off queen cells.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.