Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned to get started this spring as i have been reading all i can about bees.....i have been caretaking a place that has a couple of hives and the person that was going to take them has decided not to. The owner of the property has asked me if i want them. I do want them but the hives have been neglected for some time, some of the wood is rotten, one of my questions is if i can move them without falling apart can i put the frames in new hives that i have or would it be better to do that before i try to transport them ????

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I would most likely put them in new boxes if they are real rotten. Falling apart seeing I end up putting then in my van:D Then let them sit for a day or two and move them one evening.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would treat it like a cut-out. Get them into a new strong home. Then two or more days later take'em home. But that's just me...10 Beeks = 10 Different Answers!:):)

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I'm with My-smokepole on putting the hive in new hive bodies. However, considering you are new (welcome!) understand that there's no telling what you may find in the hive. There may be frames missing (lots of crazy bridge comb), or they may have propolised the frames down completely years ago, there may even be a inverted glass jar feeder in there. I don't want to discourage you in any way shape of form. This is a very nice find. Just make sure to read up over the winter and prepare for the unknown when you crack that hive open in the Spring.

Also, don't throw away the old hive bodies. Review them and make repairs where you can. At worst they're kindling. However, you may be able to repair them to medeocre status and use them as bait hives to capture swarms. You may be able to cut them down to use them as supers or if you're really lucky you may be able to repair them to use them as regular hive bodies.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I'm with My-smokepole on putting the hive in new hive bodies. However, considering you are new (welcome!) understand that there's no telling what you may find in the hive. There may be frames missing (lots of crazy bridge comb), or they may have propolised the frames down completely years ago, there may even be a inverted glass jar feeder in there. I don't want to discourage you in any way shape of form. This is a very nice find. Just make sure to read up over the winter and prepare for the unknown when you crack that hive open in the Spring.
Yep read and go slow and easy and have fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Trust me you do not want to move bees that are in rotten boxes, more likely than not you will have an experience with the bees which would discourage you from keeping them altogether. I say this from an experience I had with my mentor in which we moved some rotten boxes after dark. I quit counting stingers at 300. So this is a long way of saying I agree with everyone else, move them to new boxes first and be ready for some surprises when you pop the lid.

Welcome to the most addictive hobby know to man! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts