Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Do you know of a list or place where they offer information about the toxicity they have on the bees of the different herbicides currently used?
Specifically, I need information on Garlon's toxicity.

·
Super Moderator
11,009 Posts
"National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) provides objective, science-based information about pesticides and pesticide-related topics to enable people to make informed decisions. NPIC is a cooperative agreement between Oregon State University and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (cooperative agreement #X8-83560101)."
http://npic.orst.edu/

And Garlon is a trade name for Triclopyr, which is an herbicide. Read the PDF at this link ...
What are some products that contain triclopyr?
- Garlon, Turflon, Pathfinder, Access, Brush-B-Gon, Confront, Crossbow (2).
... ...
... ...
Triclopyr is practically non-toxic to bees (1).

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/triclogen.pdf

·
Banned
689 Posts
Hello,
Do you know of a list or place where they offer information about the toxicity they have on the bees of the different herbicides currently used?
Specifically, I need information on Garlon's toxicity.
Why not spend a few seconds and google LD50s? You can do that faster than asking here. You will find most herbicides are about as toxic to bees as table salt.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Here is a pretty scholarly link showing how benign glyphosate actually is to honeybees. The trouble with having any reasonable discussion about glyphosate is that it ties into the whole GMO argument which is rife with disinformation. As Mr. Cryberg says, the information is out there for those willing to research with an open mind.
https://academic.oup.com/jee/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/jee/tov269

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
One always hears about the additives being more toxic than glyphosate, which additives are these.
Johno

·
Super Moderator
11,009 Posts
A surfactant is often added to herbicide sprays (to reduce water surface tension and get a finer spray mist). Surfactants are more or less similar to detergents. And detergent mixed with water (bubbles/foam etc) can be used to smother insects.

However, the spray (with surfactant) would need to be sprayed on the insect, and with sufficient volume to block the bees' spiracles (breathing tubes) to kill them. It seems likely to me that the average glyphosate + surfactant spray application isn't likely to smother bees in any significant amount.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
In a post somewhere Richard mentioned some Japanese were drinking Roundup and that the glyphosate was not doing them in as it was the adjuvants, so was just wondering what it was that could do such damage. I would not think the surfactants would be that bad.
Johno

·
Banned
689 Posts
In a post somewhere Richard mentioned some Japanese were drinking Roundup and that the glyphosate was not doing them in as it was the adjuvants, so was just wondering what it was that could do such damage. I would not think the surfactants would be that bad.
Johno
They can be that bad.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It can be very confusing to try and figure out what may or may not be a problem. It may be that the active ingredient is not a major concern. Then, because something is a problem with mammals is it also a problem with insects? Sometimes highly potent insecticides have less of an impact on honey bees because they break down so quickly in sunlight and have no residual toxicity.

LD50's help describe toxicity. Understanding the mode of action, residual activity/persistence, etc. are important parts of the puzzle.

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a neighbor using crossbow on blueberries and me and my wife have headache from it while working on my beehives yesterday.
I visited my neighbor and asked what was he spraying on the backyard. It was crossbow for blackberries control and he got the headache too. My question is how or if the bees will be affected and if the honey and brood is going to be compromised too.
Please advise

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a neighbor using crossbow on blueberries and me and my wife have headache from it while working on my beehives yesterday.
I visited my neighbor and asked what was he spraying on the backyard. It was crossbow for blackberries control and he got the headache too. My question is how or if the bees will be affected and if the honey and brood is going to be compromised too.
Please advise
Crossbow is mentioned in the quote of post #2. Check radar's link above. Crossbow is triclopyr and 2-4d. I've never had issues with 2-4d unless I had virgins mating, and the post above suggests no issues with triclopyr.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts