Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I agist my bees at a friends factory, they had become quite nasty this last 2 years, so I've just requeened them with Carnolian queens‏. They have become well behaved in three weeks, ie long befoe all the old bees are dead and gone. Do queens have an effect on the other beess other than genetic?

Kingo

·
Registered
175 Posts
Last year I had need of a queen in a hurry. I was given a queen from south of me (GA). Within 3 week those bees were mean. I reported them to the state and had samples taken within 5 weeks. I re-queened them within 7 weeks. 10 weeks from the start all was well.

She's not the Queen for nothing....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would have think that a new queen pheromones would affect the other bees unrelated to her. For example, if you had a hive that is hot because it is queen less and buy introducing a new queen can calm them down. I think that other beekeeper with more knowledge can add more info to your question.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I have seen many a hive calm down almost immediately when requeened. This would support a theory that aggressiveness, at least some of the time, is caused by some pheromone that the queen does or does not produce.

Three weeks is not long enough to replace all the old workers.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I can validate what Mr. Bush states. We had a hive that was very mean but very productive. We clip our queens. Suddenly one inspection(about 2 weeks later), the bees were calm, and sure enough, the queen was not clipped.

Roland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts