Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this season, I posted to this forum about a hand drill powered honey extractor I built out of a paint stirrer and wire mesh when I found myself with uncapped frames and no working extractor. I also promised that I would provide plans for revisions I was going to make based on this initial design.

I am now posting the new design. This new extractor is simple, inexpensive to build ($25-$85) depending on how fancy you want the tank to be and will hold 4-6 frames at a time. You can find full pictures and instructions at the below link:

How to build a honey extractor for $85 or less

-PaloAltoMark

·
Registered
843 Posts
Believe me, if I could make one that cheap for you guys, they would be in production. Thats why they are all made overseas for nickels on the dollar.
None the less, its cool to see what people come up with! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Cool is one thing!!!
Dangerous is the other sill game some people play with there inventions.
I grew up with little or no money & had to invent & engineer a good many " home patents " over the years & saftey is always 1st item to deal with inventing anything.
Centrifugal force can easily hurt someone.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I think its a great idea to use a 55 gallon Food Grade Barrel...Good job PaloAltoMark! Why all the trash talk??? :s
If i didnt have a Kelleys Extractor i would build one for the fun of it but i would build it alittle different, but at the end of the day as long as it works thats all that matters!! ....:cool:

Awesome Job PCM!!!....Thats a nice homemade extractor, one of the best ones i seen so far! Dont mind me asking but how much would an homemade extractor like that cost to make yourself approx???

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think its a great idea to use a 55 gallon Food Grade Barrel...Good job PaloAltoMark! Why all the trash talk??? :s
If i didnt have a Kelleys Extractor i would build one for the fun of it but i would build it alittle different, but at the end of the day as long as it works thats all that matters!! ....:cool:

Awesome Job PCM!!!....Thats a nice homemade extractor, one of the best ones i seen so far! Dont mind me asking but how much would an homemade extractor like that cost to make yourself approx???
Why all the trash talk, no pun intended! :applause:
Sorry couldnt help myself.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
What most forget is we are dealing with a food product. Really don't want to buy my honey produced out of a trashcan.
Trash can is not the problem if it is food grade. I'd be more concerned with metal parts that look to me like they are galvanized on PCM's. I sure hope it gets coated with Camcoat.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Barry ;
If I may:

The woven wire is galvanized, all other metal is aluminum .

The entire basket was painted with fiberglass epoxy resin.

No honey is stored in/near the basket, there is a space underneath for 7 gal. of honey.
True, in the extraction rotation I know a certain amount of honey hits the wire,
the rest I would say gos thru the wire opening.

As far as galvanized metal and honey, at a auction I saw a OLD extractor, the entire thing other than the wooden crank handle was galvanized.

Thanks for the board.

PCM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts