Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks sometimes you just have to see it. Hives do not like high temperatures when indoor wintering. I came home from work to this today. farenheit.JPG centigrade.JPG temp overshoot.JPG 20 minutes after.JPG

As you can see I peaked at 81 degrees. Right on the cusp of total meltdown. I had to wait till dark and knock the doors off the hinges. You can see what the hives are starting to look like 20 minutes after I get full air blowing on them. (I need a bigger building or more air movement.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you have now for shed ventilation?
I have 1st stage is just 150 cfm. 2nd stage is around 600cfm push and 600cfm pulling. Building is 2304cubic feet. So theoretically I am getting 1 full air exchange every 4 minutes. I think I have a problem with the ducting. I had a echo ventilation unit that I put in and I think it actually has a bit of an air to air exchanger in it so I am losing efficiency.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had a echo ventilation unit that I put in and I think it actually has a bit of an air to air exchanger in it so I am losing efficiency.
Ahhhh. That explains things. I have been racking my brain to try to determine what the difference is between my ability to cool, and your ability to keep 'me cool, all winter because I knew you were moving lots of air.

Luke

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hows the hives look outside Jodie? Did you get a nice day of sun?
Well I am happy to say I have 97 out of 98 (One that starved about 3 weeks ago). Some are really good, 1/2 frame X 4 sides capped brood. Couple of queen issues I need to sort out but I am much happier so far than last year (which was 26/26). If we get some warm weather now I will have excellent hives. Have you looked at any of yours yet Ian?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No B.S.ing they were starting to try to fly at +1 Centigrade this morning and were significantly flying by +5 Centigrade. We got up to +9 today and all hell was breaking loose in the yard. Still disappointing to see lots drop dead in the snow, but I have to get used to it. Everything for 100 yards around speckle painted brown.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where does the heat come from? Is it solar on a tin building?
The bees, once they hit a certain temperature they are like light bulbs. They turn on and get hot and without huge amounts of cool air they can maintain a building at very high temps.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
The bees, once they hit a certain temperature they are like light bulbs. They turn on and get hot and without huge amounts of cool air they can maintain a building at very high temps.
If you built a chimney on your tin huts together with louvers at the bottom of the walls it would ventilate the heck out of those buildings without the use of electric fans. In a green house you can use wax motors to actuate the dampers because they trigger around 85 degrees F but you are looking to control down to what 35? So a temperature controller on each damper would be needed to control the dampers. If you get a warm spell I can see where you would "freak", a word Ian used. If this happens can you leave all the openings open and let the bees fly? The bees should orient and come back to their own hive and stay if it gets cold again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm hoping to start indoor wintering this year. I'm so disgusted with loosing my bees over winter.
Can't remember the exact number but it was like 55 days below 0 F. this winter for me .
I'm going to try 6 hives in a 8x10 building .
Lee

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm hoping to start indoor wintering this year. I'm so disgusted with loosing my bees over winter.
Can't remember the exact number but it was like 55 days below 0 F. this winter for me .
I'm going to try 6 hives in a 8x10 building .
Lee
I had 13 hives in an 8x10 this winter. R12 insulated r20 on top and still needed a space heater to keep temps above freezing. Only lost one hive though.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I had 13 hives in an 8x10 this winter. R12 insulated r20 on top and still needed a space heater to keep temps above freezing. Only lost one hive though.
So you are heating and Jodie is cooling ... something is not adding up. Why the difference? I would expect heating if the ambient temp is near 0.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you are heating and Jodie is cooling ... something is not adding up. Why the difference? I would expect heating if the ambient temp is near 0.
Yes, both can occur. Hive density plays a large factor as well as ambient temperature. Here is an article for you Acebird. The bottom is particularly what you are looking for. I helps explain wintering methodology. http://www.backyardbees.ca/files/winteringbeaverlodge.pdf

1 - 20 of 28 Posts