Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is my first footstep into this realm, so forgive any ignorance. I live in Colorado and have a sizable cannabis grow room and would like to attempt to make "Ambrosia", which by some schools of thought is honey (or an alcohol made from honey) collected from bees near cannabis fields. As outdoor growing is not my thing, I was hoping there was a way to include a small beehive in or near the grow so that the honey would be made from 100% cannabis nectar.

I've read that windows are a problem, but the room I have has zero outside light, purely artificial. Would this have the same problems with the bee's navigation?

I'm not opposed to having outdoor food-sources for the bee's as well, but would certainly like to do this in a completely closed off environment.

Let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Look into observation hives. They are indoor, but have a tube to a hole in an exterior wall. Bees need an outside opening. They have to fly outside to get nectar and pollen. You can't raise bees inside with no way outside for them. You will have to cover the sides of the hive with dark fabric most of the time. Bees like their hives dark.
Bee fly up to 2 miles away to find nectar. You will not be able to get them to only feed on 100% cannabis nectar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly, sry to burst your bubble but honeybees will not go for female cannabis flowers as cannabis is a wind pollinated species and the female plants haven't developed a need to attract pollinators with nectar, bee's will collect pollen from the male plants though. I will say the bee's do land on the female flowers to collect resin which I'm assuming is for propolis.
My thoughts on the old ambrosia is that mead was probably made with crushed old comb from skeps or wild tree's covered in propolis, which if the hive was located mainly around fields of cannabis would collect their propolis or resin from the cannabis plants. This resin would get fermented with the honey and create ambrosia.

Also a dark greenhouse with artificial lighting that turn on and off suddenly along with a unnatural lighting periods will not work with honeybee's. I don't think it would end well for the bee's or anyone

Hope this helps ya out! good luck on the ambrosia.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree, there's no way. Since the cannabis is wind pollinated there is no need to produce nectar to attract the bees which is necessary for there sustenance. They might collect some pollen from the male flower, maybe. They might collect some resin to make propolis, I think probably not. In the wild bees require acres of flowers to sustain the hive, traveling for miles foraging for insect pollinated, nectar producing flowers. How many acres is your "sizable" grow space?

·
Registered
765 Posts
that or u could pay me to come pollinate haha hows a lb per hive sound

1 - 7 of 7 Posts