Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I believe there is an Island administered by New Zealand called Nuway that is isolated and is mite free and that their honey is classified as organic, so I would guess that there are other isolated areas who could claim to produce organic honey or honey that is free from any chemical or foreign substances
Johno

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
The problem is that she is using the word 'organic' to mean 'completely free of pesticides'.

This is the definition of organic that the people that sell certified organic products want you to think of...but it isn't the definition they use to certify their products as 'organic'.

All of the organic standards (there isn't one for honey in the US) are about practices, not about what is actually found in the product. There are restrictions on how much of what can be found in organic products, but that only comes up if things are tested...which isn't generally part of organic certification.

This is bait and switch on the part of the industry, and it is no wonder people are confused (that is the goal).

deknow

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yet, you will often seen this claimed in print by those selling organic products.
deknow

Plus, there are a number of pesticides that are approved for organic use.

The idea that organic = pesticide free is entirely false.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had no idea that this would start a serious thread. The whole thing was tongue in cheek....
All the same, I would agree that the term organic is often intentionally misused and misunderstood.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I think nothing is indisputable. There are people who still argue that the Earth is flat... so it is still being disputed despite pretty much overwhelming evidence... and most "indisputable" evidence is far more "disputable" than that...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would still rather have the better of the two, which is without a doubt the "organic" honey... At least the contamination won't be as severe as "non-organic" and the ethical consumerism will support the greater cause...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts