Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i made up some more nucs from my existing nucs. One in particular i took two frames of brood out of the top box. these are 4 over 4 nucs.
Today i thought i might check on the splits to see if the cells had been sabotaged, all was well. so i thought while i am here i might just check my super 4 over 4 nuc. Amazing over 24hrs they had pulled out two frames of fresh foundation. amazing.

G.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"Yesterday i made up some more nucs from my existing nucs. One in particular i took two frames of brood out of the top box. these are 4 over 4 nucs.
Today i thought i might check on the splits to see if the cells had been sabotaged, all was well. so i thought while i am here i might just check my super 4 over 4 nuc. Amazing over 24hrs they had pulled out two frames of fresh foundation. amazing."

Nicely done. Well planned.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael Palmer I have a quick question about these 4 over 4 nucs. I have watched a lot of your videos advocating how good they are as brood factories. One thing i did not quite understand was what to do in the spring time, well mostly why you do it?

You say to add a third half box to make 4 over 4 over 4 and they become brood factories. why not stay at 4 over 4 and keep pulling brood. is it maybe a management thing? easier to maintain 3 high?

So whether it is 4 over 4, or 4 over 4 over 4 the brood factory principle is the same, maintain ample resources for the colony while preventing them from swarming.

G.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I also have some nucs that have made amazing progress. started in mid June that are now 5-5-5 and have made splits off of them that are 5-5......I now have 15 nucs going into winter. :) Opps I just said the ,W, word. ----great to hear your success...

==McBee7==

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this morning i went out to check on my cells. So far 4 out of 6 have hatched into queens. I am pretty happy with that, but i am sure the other two will emerge today or tomorrow.

So i checked that super duper nuc too. we must be in a cotton flow. those two frames they drew out are almost full of honey.

So this is my plan. tonight i will put a box between the honey frames and the brood. What do you think?

G.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well this morning i went out to check on my cells. So far 4 out of 6 have hatched into queens. I am pretty happy with that, but i am sure the other two will emerge today or tomorrow.

So i checked that super duper nuc too. we must be in a cotton flow. those two frames they drew out are almost full of honey.

So this is my plan. tonight i will put a box between the honey frames and the brood. What do you think?

G.
Does cotton bloom this late in the year?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess i can probably answer my own question. I will try putting the box in the middle. if it works; good i will know to do it another time. If it do not work. I will chalk it up to experience.

G.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey garusher...nice to see another SEMO boy on here! I thought I might chime in here: If you have brood in the upper and lower, won't placing an empty box of foundation between the two cause one side or the other to feel queenless? I had one nuc this spring that got up to three deeps high because I was short on equipment, but I put them into a 8 frame double deep configuration pretty soon after that. I have one in a double 5 frame nuc now. I'm debating on wintering them there or not.

GH

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, that extra box i put between the brood and the honey frames is being drawn out. so i did a good thing.

G.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts