Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hive deeps and Im wondering when you add empty frames to the hive bodies to increase the brood for the winter, what do you do with the frames you take out that have honey and pollen on them if you don't want to create more hives.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
welcome to beesource davers.

bees usually decrease their brood for winter, and in my area have already stopped drawing out new wax for the season. it's best to check with someone in your area that is experienced about this, but it's probably a good idea to leave them as they are with fall approaching.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
August is also a critical month here to watch your bees for the mite load.
We have 2 more months going into October to increase the brood size. Right now I had combined
2 strong hives to increase their population. The new queens should help to get their population up too
just before the shut down time. To increase the brood population going into winter you need to feed them
so do not take out the honey and pollen source but to increase them with syrup and patty feeding. I give them
a gallon per day of honey syrup since we are in a dearth now. Even out the hives by adding frame of bees to the weak hives too.
I will even combine 3 strong medium hives into one if their population do not keep up just before the winter set in. But I don't anticipate this is the case.
So bee flexible when helping them along.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
So far I only have 1 hive with 2 deeps after the combine.
I'm using queen excluders with side entrance for the queen to fly after she hatch.
I don't know how the workers will react once all the queens started laying after their mating flight is over.
Probably they will kill all but one will rule. With the excluders on I don't know how they will react over all. If they don't
kill off the queens then there will be a population explosion in 2 months just in time to go into winter with and they shut down.
I have to wait to see for the final result maybe that a double screen will help too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts