Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have 2 hives, both 1-deep, one of them is really weak and another one that seems to be doing okay. I don't want to combine them together but I also don't want to spent money on packaged bees, is there a way to increse the amount of bees in my weak hive? This week we'll be in the 70s weather wise and I'm not sure when the flow is suppose to start. Trees are starting to bloom outside and I'm not sure if they are suppose to start to built up or is it still too early?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If the other hive is strong enough to donate a frame of capped brood, this might kick start the weaker hive. If the queen is failing grab a frame that have open brood and some eggs they might use this to supersede the weaker queen.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I'd do what Brent said but only if I was sure that the reason for weakness isn't disease. If it is, treating needs to be part of the picture. I've found that a frame or two of brood from another hive often does the trick for the short term. Long term, discounting disease, I find myself requeening if the bees don't do it first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts