Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few 5 frame nucs that over wintered here in Ohio...GO, GO RUSSIAN BEES:thumbsup:

Now, I have a few extra 10 frame boxes, empty except for frames and foundation, that I would like to add these nuc frames into, but not sure when will be a safe time to do so. Is March to early? For I would also like to start feeding them pollen substitue but not till they are settled into their new homes.

Any comments?

THX

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm about 2.5 hrs south of you, but I would think later this month would be OK to move the nucs into 10 frame boxes. Especially if you were to start feeding them at the same time, if not before.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would move them when the queen is laying steadily and you have lots of brood and bees in the nuc. You need enough bees to take care of their new house. No sense in moving a nuc sized colony into a Taj Mahal that they can't maintain. :D

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would move them when the queen is laying steadily and you have lots of brood and bees in the nuc. You need enough bees to take care of their new house. No sense in moving a nuc sized colony into a Taj Mahal that they can't maintain. :D
Thanks FISH STIX for that elegant answer. Don't go by the date, but by what you see in the hive or nuc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts