Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do? I put wet supers back on for cleanup. They filled them about 25% with nector, very little capped. We are definitely in a dearth now.
I need to pull them off so I can treat with Apivar. What do I do with these frames? I don't have the freezer space.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
If you intend to get a fall harvest, you will need to pull them off and just stack them indoors for the six weeks the Apivar strips will be in, plus the additional two weeks recommended waiting period before adding supers. If your flow is done for the year like mine is, just put the strips in. Move the supers above the inner cover and the bees should move the honey back down into the brood nest, leaving you with clean dry supers for storage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
To add to JWPalmer's advice, I just pulled some partially filled, but uncapped supers and put them in a room with a dehydrator and and high velocity fan blowing down through them and got them down to 14.5% moisture in a few days.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We put the supers above the inner cover, the nice little bees started refilling the supers. I am going to try to dehydrate those that have a lot of nectar, spin out those that have just a bit. This time, freeze and put away a tiny bit wet.

I removed the partially filled supers, stacking up in a bee entry proof way, well next thing I knew I had a swarm of bees outside the patio door. The smell brought them all running.

21 boxes................geez. Lesson number thousand learned.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
NewBeeLady;

How many supers are we talking about? If there are only a few, just take them off and move them away from the colonies and allow the bees to rob the nectar. This will only take a few hours at most. If removed during the morning, at dusk they can be taken inside and stored while treating for mites. Be alert for wax moths and hive beetles.

When putting supers above the inner cover there needs to be an empty box (no frames) below the supers to help insure the nectar is taken down below the inner cover.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
When putting supers above the inner cover there needs to be an empty box (no frames) below the supers to help insure the nectar is taken down below the inner cover.
Thanks for that clarification. I have amlost always had the mostly undrawn last super installed as the top box, so the principle is the same, I think. Also, when our flow is over, it is OVER. There is no more nectar coming in so nothing to put in the supers until I start feeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts