Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I had a swarm of bees show up in my horse pasture and had to move them cause they were to close to were the horses eat for comfort. I grabbed the first thing I saw I thought I could put them in to move them which happened to be an old pc case I had. I wasnt sure if theyed stay in it or move on but they seem to like it and havent moved out yet. What I was wondering is if its ok to keep them like this? and if not what should I do with them? I would like to keep them but there health and happiness is more important to me than anything. Ive kept and bred invertebrates for over 20 years so Im not new to bugs but Ive never had bees before so any advice would be appreciated. If they stick around I would like to get them a real hive but for now I guess this will have to do.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/frackzilla/Untitled.jpg
They seem to be really nice bees, I handled them without any special gear on and didnt get stung once.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sorry to say if bees are in a box of any kind the cone has to be where you can inspect it so some kind on frame must be used. if we heep the bees our laws require us to have them where they can bee looked after.you could close them up at dark and move them . then put them in a hive.good luck rock.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You should have a local beekeepers associatoin near you. Try looking for it on the internet and find some contacts to local beekeepers, some of them would most likely be willing to help you out and get them into some sort of hive, they may even have some equiment they might be willing to sell to you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a place nearby that sells beekeeping supplies. I plan on going by there this weekend. Im sure they will be able to answer alot of my questions. Thx!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Even if the law about being inspect-able wasn't an issue the computer case is gonna get too full pretty quick.

If you really want to keep them (you should - it's fun) you need to learn about "cut outs" cause that is what you are going to have to do to move them.

Assuming you don't want to spend much money you might look into "top bar hives". Google it.

You don't have to take action right away, but within a few weeks. I didn't notice where you live, but they will need some time to settle in to a new hive before it gets cold. If you live in Florida or some other land of endless summer, then you have a while. Otherwise, not so much. Have fun.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The side of the computer box (top of the improvised hive) might be removable. Kinda hard to say for certain from the pic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought it might get hot as well but the first day I had it out there I checked on it often and it never got to hot imo. Where it is it only gets an hour or so of direct sun first thing in the morning. Both sides as well as the front of the case are removable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to let yall know, I found someone who has a few beehives and I gave the bees to them, Im sure there much happier and safer now. I kinda miss em, they where really nice bees lol. Once I have some extra money to spend I would love to try to keep some properly. Thx everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your asking me idk but being one of the largest citys in the world Id think there would be someplace. Try googling it, other than that I know theres a place about an hour outside of houston in navasota. Theres 2 places actually on the same street and one of them sells supplies for sure,
http://www.rweaver.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol, I was thinking it would be cool if you did put frames in that case and had them pull in and out like a disk drive. A friend suggested I hollow out a monitor for them to live in as well and set it up on a desk outside, woulda been pretty cool maybe lol, definitely woulda had the neighbors wondering.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Yeah, does soemone have an observation hive screen saver? If not, someone should build one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts