Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow :eek:, just started a new package Wednesday (the 19th) and seen lots of orientation flight Thursday, Friday morning bright and early they were bringing in pollen already. heck i have not even had an opportunity to see if the queen was released yet and can't hardly believe they have comb enough to start storing pollen already. so what are they doing with it ????
granted this hive i used foundation where last years was all natural cell in a tbh, but i was under the understanding that they were slow to start foundation :s. so what gives ??, are they using it up as fast as it is brought in or are they actually just great little cell builders and this is natural since it's late in the spring.

thanks in advance all

beebiker

·
Registered
939 Posts
So many things happen starting from scratch. Yes, they are building comb, storing pollen, making honey reserves all in preparation for the releasing of their new queen. If it hasn't been but a couple days, she's likely not released yet. It's important NOT to open the hive until the 7th day after install. If the queen is not released yet, then I'd give her a bit of help getting out. Other than that, things sound normal. Remember, "Busy Bees" are the terms you're seeing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They're not really slow to start foundation, they'll start right away, but it does take some time to get cells properly drawn out.

At first, they'll simply store pollen and nectar/syrup in partially drawn comb. If they totally run out of room, the bees collecting pollen will simply have to carry it around until there's a place to put it -- demand for nectar, pollen and water within the hive has a huge effect on how many bees will go out looking for it. If there's NO stored honey or pollen, bees will go out and get some, but once they come back and find no place to put it, more of them will switch to drawing out comb and fewer will go out foraging.

On a nice day, SOME bees will always be foraging, but on average, their activities shift toward the hive's biggest needs.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Have seen a natural swarm bringing pollen within two hours of migrating into the box provided. The starter colony has a lot to get done on the spring flow, and they don't waste much time getting started. Consider that it takes maybe an hour to collect a pollen load, and that means that pollen foragers were in the field before they were actually settled into their new quarters.

Walt

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok great
well we checked ( i say we but i made my sweety do it, it's her hive and she needed the oppertunity to get her feet wet) and all looked well. i see where the pollen was going now. they were actually packing it into the pattern on the foundation where their was no comb being built yet :doh:
on a side note, i thought giving her a chance to search for the queen while she had the hive open for inspection would teach her a lesson about nagging me about never being able to find the queens in the other hives. ( sort of a see it aint so easy is it :waiting:) unfortunitly my plan backfired and she found her straight away :applause:
ahhh well, guess i should just be grateful she is interested in the little honey makers and wants to be involved, she could be telling me to quite wasting my time with those bugs :D

now if it would just warm up here in wyoming so they can get to work in the fields and make some honey.

bee biker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts