Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just added this top entrance "porch" to assist bees over winter and thought I would share.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am putting bee quilt boxes on my 4 hives for the first time and decided to add just a bit of additional top ventilation/access for good days - otherwise will be blocked. All pieces are 3/4 inch pine same as the shim. Entrance is two pieces of 2 3/4 inch glued to a 6 inch base with a 6 inch strip above and another 6 inch angle cut above and then glued and finish nailed to the shim.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
469 Posts
Had to laugh at how cute the porch is. I have a rectangle cut piece of coroplast that sits on top of the hive giving me an additional 4 inches all around with a concrete block on top that serves the same purpose. Having an awning is very useful in bad weather. Well done. Also good job on the quilt box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to laugh at how cute the porch is. I have a rectangle cut piece of coroplast that sits on top of the hive giving me an additional 4 inches all around with a concrete block on top that serves the same purpose. Having an awning is very useful in bad weather. Well done. Also good job on the quilt box.
Thanks. The quilt box sits inside the honey super so provides 4 inches of chips and a 2 inch gap below the screen/above frames. I am hoping that will allow me to lift the quilt box up if I need to replace sugar cakes mid winter and less stress on bees. More likely they will seal it to the super and it is wasted effort.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
469 Posts
I use a vivaldi board setup that includes a square feeder frame that sits directly over the opening in the center. It's screened with #8 so I can open up the hive top, remove insulation and burlap and pour sugar directly through the screen. They get snacks up there. I love removing the layers but not really disturbing them except to pull back burlap. This serves as a quilt box and emergency feed area. Gives me peace of mind being able to see a thriving live colony. Vivaldi Board.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts