Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've checked my hives recently, and it seems NONE of them have been adding any stores for about 4 weeks. Now, I know it's been a little cooler, but our goldenrod flow must be closer to over than beginning. And I'm told that goldenrod is the best build-up for winter here in Maine. I'm using mostly 8 frame mediums and none of my hives have 3 full boxes even. They have 2 boxes of brood and stores, but they really never built up any stores to speak of. I've been feeding them as much as I can lately, so they'll save up something. I've been putting in new foundation simply because I don't have any drawn comb, so I know some of those resources have gone into comb building, but did it really take that much? I'm thinking of combining my hives so I can at least get them through the winter. But I'm not sure I'll have even enough stores if I combine 3 hives into one. And then I'll have 3 times as many bees.

Most recently, I checked one hive that had several frames with some capped honey and some un-capped honey. The capped honey is still there, but the cells that had un-capped honey have been cleaned out.

I'd appreciate any insight or advice...

·
Registered
11 Posts
This dry spell we have been going through has a lot of Maine keeps missing their honey. Keep feeding and hope for the best at this point they still have time to put away stores. If your not already doing it I would add some lemongrass oil and or mint oil as a feeding stimulant see the Honey bee healthy HBH thread, it seems to get mine to take the syrup when they ignore straight syrup. Just remember that it is syrup and don't plan on extracting any of it. If you don't think they have enough by time you winterize, assuming you do, then you can combine or do a "mountain cap" of dry sugar on top of newspaper sheet or two on top of frames as insurance. Most of my hives are still building up wax as well and they will make it or not. Might combine, might just let em have at it and see if they make it. Either way you have wax come spring for survivors or new splits if they die giving a head start on 2011. Good luck

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I would feed feed feed if you want them to make it and then do make your call before it gets too cold whether or not to combine....you can do, as kk above stated, MCM them to help get them through....

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I wouldn't discount a late season flow. Everything has been early this year but I think (and hope) that some cool weather and a little rain between now and the winter will turn some blooms back on!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I wouldn't discount a late season flow.
That's what I'm hoping for here in my little corner of Maine. My stronger hives are making a little honey but the splits and nucs have been worrisome.

I'll feed syrup if it looks like they need it to survive the winter. I'm not of the mind that bees who can't build stores deserve to die, even when Ma Nature turns off the nectar.

Wayne

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wouldn't discount a late season flow. Everything has been early this year but I think (and hope) that some cool weather and a little rain between now and the winter will turn some blooms back on!
This is what I'm thinking is going to happen.

My bees are making honey, but very slowly. I'm not ready to feed yet as we're suppose to get some rain and I've had a great fall flow for the last few years (yeah, I know every year isn't the same).

If we get into early September and things are still the same I might start feeding.

K

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Feeding as much as you can lately... isn't enough.
I would suggest feeding them seriously to get them built up for winter. It's getting late in the year, it's time to get stores built up before weather turns cooler over nights. They will need time to get syrup/nectar cured before it turns cooler. Check your pollen stores and supplement if they are low to get some healthy brood building for the fall.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The goldenrod has really just begun here. I was in a dearth until a couple of days ago. Now there is a flow on. Hang in there, watch your hives. You may have a good flow for the next few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts