Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PROBLEM #1:
Ok so I pulled a frame for my observation hive to take to my daughters school. I pulled it from the hive that I squished the queen in accidentally. I found several queen cells capped, but they were located on the bottom of the frames. Is this normal for them replacing the queen? I was always under the impression that if they are on the bottom that indicated swarming.

PROBLEM #2:
On to the next hive 15 miles North.
The queen in this hive is at least 3-4 years old by my estimation. I noticed a lot of drone brood upon inspection. What troubled me was the queen cells that I found. There were larvae in the cells but they weren't capped yet. (Obviosly!) THese cells wer located at the top of to middle of the frames and I only found one on the bottm of a frame.
Are they preparing to superceed the queen?

Sorry about all the questions. 3rd year and still learning! Oh, both hives had 3 medium supers (I use all mediums) and they were full. I have since added another super to each. I removed a frame with a queen cell, 1 frame of honey/pollen, 1 frame of eggs and 2 frames of capped brood from the problem hive #2 to start a nuc hive. All frames were replaced with new foundation.

Thank you VERY much for the input!!!!

[ May 04, 2006, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Hill's Hivery ]

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
In case one, they will build queen cells everywhere in an emergency situation. Case 2 sounds like a normal supercedure. You could take the old queen and nuc her if you want.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Is this normal for them replacing the queen?

Emegency queens are anywhere they can build them. Supercedure queens are up on the face of the comb.

>The queen in this hive is at least 3-4 years old by my estimation. I noticed a lot of drone brood upon inspection. What troubled me was the queen cells that I found. There were larvae in the cells but they weren't capped yet. (Obviosly!) THese cells wer located at the top of to middle of the frames and I only found one on the bottm of a frame.
>Are they preparing to superceed the queen?

More than likely, yes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts