Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call today for a hive in a down limb. Being the kind of guy I am I say "Yes".

Now we have a 3-4 foot long hollow limb in our beeyard. We have eight hives at the moment... four swarms, three packages, and this log hive. Time to call it quits for the rest of the year. Is anyone in the Quad Cities IA/IL area that would like me to forward swarm calls to them the rest of the season? PM me if so.

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_20140622_183849_436.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm only 1 1/2 years in as a Beek, but hit the hobby pretty hard. However, I've finally learned sometimes you just have to say no.

Over time, I transitioned from an enthusiastic YES to every call...to saying YES even when I wanted to say NO...to now actually telling some folks NO. As sad as it is, there comes a point that you realize you can't save them all.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only 1 1/2 years in as a Beek, but hit the hobby pretty hard. However, I've finally learned sometimes you just have to say no.

Over time, I transitioned from an enthusiastic YES to every call...to saying YES even when I wanted to say NO...to now actually telling some folks NO. As sad as it is, there comes a point that you realize you can't save them all.
I'm there! Just had a guy email me about a cut out in his church tonight. I'll be more than happy to spend some time trying to find someone to help him with it, but I can't commit to helping him out at this point.

My goal this year was to get some feral genetics to build on. We've got part of an actual bee tree, and two swarms that are almost assuredly from a multi-year bee tree. We'll see what makes it into the fall and through the winter here... regroup next spring and see what we've got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts