Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,222 Posts
It could be that the lab you are using is administering straight semen with less-than-ideal mixing instead of 24-hour mixed drone semen spun in a centrifuge to concentrate it. A dose of .08 microliters of concentrated semen gives at least 5 million sperm, and she should be able to lay a solid pattern for 3+ years on that, unless subjected to large stresses like massive mite populations, etc.
What's the name of the lab following the procedures you outlined above?

· Registered
4,222 Posts
I was reading that it is best to supplement the hive with regular non VSH brood in order that the colony doesn't get saturated with pure VSH.
I've had lots of VSH II queens. Several years ago it was not uncommon to get breeders that simply could not support themselves. I found that these (in general) didn't produce daughters that were great queens either. Occasionally a daughter would thrive, but it took a lot of selection. The ones I've gotten in the past two years seem to be far more robust and as a result can thrive as normal bees. Now I rarely (if ever) provide supplemental brood to my breeders. VSH queens have improved quite a bit in the recent past, so hopefully we're on a stable path forward.

Most of my breeders are in single deeps.

· Registered
4,222 Posts
Tom,

I tend to agree with your assessment. I really like to see how a breeder performs and part of that (at least for me) is getting a good sense on how her offspring behaves as the colony reaches full strength. Keeping breeder queens in artificially smaller hives is simply too much work for me, and if you don't stay on top of it can lead to swarming. Last year I played that game just find my clipped breeder on the ground with a handful of bees. She survived and all was well, but it surely could have had a different outcome. I'm sure others will disagree, but you gotta find a system that works for you given all your resources (time being one of the most critical resources).

1 - 3 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.