Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I grafted eleven queen cells, seven of which have taken and are progressing well.

Today I started an "experiment", I started by taking a small Nuc with their newly mated and laying queen, five medium frames of bees, and I removed their combs giving them to other hives, replacing their combs with full sheets of small-cell foundation mounted in new wooden frames. Then I harvested about two pounds of young nurse bees from several full-size colonies, giving them to this Nuc to boost their population and speed up comb building. I then gave them a pollen-sub patty and three one-quart feeder jars of sugar syrup, enclosing the feeders with an empty super. I plan to keep the feeders full for three days, then check to see how much progress the bees have made drawing the foundation into honeycomb.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yesterday I grafted eleven queen cells, seven of which have taken and are progressing well.

Today I started an "experiment", I started by taking a small Nuc with their newly mated and laying queen, five medium frames of bees, and I removed their combs giving them to other hives, replacing their combs with full sheets of small-cell foundation mounted in new wooden frames. Then I harvested about two pounds of young nurse bees from several full-size colonies, giving them to this Nuc to boost their population and speed up comb building. I then gave them a pollen-sub patty and three one-quart feeder jars of sugar syrup, enclosing the feeders with an empty super. I plan to keep the feeders full for three days, then check to see how much progress the bees have made drawing the foundation into honeycomb.
I hope this works out Joseph, I will folllow this thread and see how you make out. Just dont forget to save some nucs for me....:p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts