Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's not the cold, it's not the heat but it's kids that are destroying my hive. Two times I've come home this with my hive upside down on the ground. I've managed to pick it up both times but they are gettin mighty angry. They must be doing it between me at work and them getting off of school. Anyone else run into this situation? Any ideas to prevent this.

Thanks

G

·
Maybe a camera or video if possible. Drive some pipe next to hive and wire or screw hive to pipe. Get some hive staples to keep hive body’s, bottom boards, etc. from coming apart. Or Africanize them! LOL

·
Registered
792 Posts
Like HAB said:

Seriously, short of adopting a retiring police dog (which I have just done) I would put straps on your hives so the boxes stay together when tipped and the bees have a fighting chance of chasing off the vandals before they damage the colony beyond repair.
Notice in the photo I have straps on my hives as well.
two straps from lowes cost about 7 bucks

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Erin, nice lookin' dog. Is that the one that retired from Lewiston?

Dch, I would go with a hunting cam, the right placement and they will never see it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hidden cameras may catch the perps, but BIG obvious cameras, or a BIG sign saying there is a camera (as someone suggested) may deter them. Depends on what you want.

Another approach would be to hang out by the hives, and when the school kids come by, talk to them. "I notice you have an interest in honey bees. If any of you would like to learn more about beekeeping, come see me this Saturday at 10:00 am, and we can start classes. In the meantime, here's some of the honey my girls have made, some of it from flowers in your own yards. pretty cool, huh?"

:)

Grid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Right On, Grid!!!!!! Sometimes kids just needs someone to show a little interest in them. It's amazing how a lot of the oneryness just melts away.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Drive your car around the block and sneak back home. When they come by, walk out w/ your camera and get them in the act. Take back up.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i like the idea of a "trail camera" and strapping them together. perhaps a camera could be borrowed from a friend or an ad in CRAIGS LIST might produce a friendly hunter you could borrow from. perhaps you know someone who is retired that could "house sit" for a day and watch for you. good luck,mike

G

·
Press charges against them. Work's every time. Or are you one that says, "there are only kids?"
I would have to disagree.... Kids are kids....I would suggest you find out who they are, maybee have a neighbor keep an eye out or there were plenty of good methods above. Then confront them or their parents. There is no since in ruining some kids life, by getting the cops involved for a first time crime, if that’s what it turns out to be. Why let them put the kid in the revolving door of the law? I’ve seen it over and over in our community. They ruin more lives then the help. I am firm on my belief of that, please don't anyone try to convince me different. Kids are kids, they will do petty dumb things some times., at least they haven’t taken your hives yet. Good luck

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had kids throwing rocks, nay, boulders, at one of my hives. Seems any thing they could pick up became a projectile, small rocks, huge rocks, bricks, metal pipe, shovels. They managed to knock a top deep hive body askew and broke a feeder. Mainly just marred up the outside of the hive, scraped off paint. The hive is at a house that was vacant at the time the vandals were striking, once the house was occupied, no more vandals. Perhaps not helpful information, but that's my experience...hope not to have anymore cause it is maddening!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I would have to disagree.... Kids are kids....I would suggest you find out who they are, maybee have a neighbor keep an eye out or there were plenty of good methods above. Then confront them or their parents.
At what point do you get tough? The "neighbor kids" decided it would be fun to try and burn my trailer and my 13k Kubota Tractor to the ground. This is after having warned them to stay off the property because of the equipment. Their parents said, well sir, we have been going on that property and fishing and playing since we were little"........to which I replied," Well, i understand that, but i am the new owner and i do not want them getting hurt, but what happens when they get hurt because one of them threw gas on the trailer, and the others dumped the diesel on my tractor?" The response was, kids will be kids, to which i said, ok officer, your turn. I handed the parents the photos from my game camera's that proved they did it. The next day, went to the police station where they were holding the kids and had them all released, and I dropped the charges. The parents paid for the trailer repairs. They were awestruck that i had cameras out there. They now have to come over and carry firewood when I go and cut, no questions asked. To this day, they(the kids) apologize over and over. I have never reminded them of this ordeal. They now know where i stand. Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

90% of todays issues with kids or children is most want to be friends with their kids. I am NOT friends with my kids, I am dad. I have used the my bees as an avenue of "kinship and fatherly good times" with my children, among the many other things that we do together. The bees have excited them the most and I thoroughly enjoy being out there with them, but they also know and respect more than they did because i am dad, I taught them, and I tell ya what, to this day, I still call my dad for advice. I didn't become "friends" with my dad until i got out of bootcamp....If they get "away" with it the first time, whats to stop them the 2nd time.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Stop them before it's too late! I worked as a Construction Project manager for the FL Dept of Corrections for 5 years in a youthful offender prison. Most of these kids had never had adult supervision, as in parents, and most will be in prison for most of their lives. All of them got started with "small offenses" like you're talking about. They all graduated to bigger and better things. We even had several murderers, including one 15 year old who decided to see what it's like to kill someone and shot an old homeless man living under an overpass in Miami. I would definitely put out a trail camera and if you get pics take them to the parents; if no results go to the police. My oldest son, Peacekeeperapiaries, on this site, is a police officer. You would not believe how many of his contemporaries from his school days he has had to arrest, some multiple times, because parents don't do their job these days. My dad would have whipped my _ss good for messing with someone else's property and I'm still afraid he'll come back from the grave and do it again if I pulled some of those stunts! Take care of the problem!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well said DEVDOG.:applause: Parent's don't teach their kids to respect others today. Look at whats going on in this country today. Honey Bee Centeral? How long do you let hoodlums run. Betcha this is not their first time doing damage to other peoples property.:no: Nope. Let the judge handle it. After all their judgement failed as to respecting others property..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts