Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

If a queen is laying, has she finished her mating flights?

673 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  JTGaraas
Or could she go one mating flight, lay some eggs, and go on another mating flight, etc.?

I ask because I was donated a post-swarm colony on the 3/29, in someone else's hardware. Original owner says he saw capped queen cells on 3/24, which means I should have a laying queen by tomorrow. But I need to return the donor's 8-frame deep, which is painted light green, and replace it with my 10-frame deep, which is painted white.

If I see eggs tomorrow, is it safe to swap boxes? Or is there still a chance that she could go out on more mating flights and get disoriented if the box has been changed when she comes back?
See less
Or could she go one mating flight, lay some eggs, and go on another mating flight, etc.?

I ask because I was donated a post-swarm colony on the 3/29, in someone else's hardware. Original owner says he saw capped queen cells on 3/24, which means I should have a laying queen by tomorrow. But I need to return the donor's 8-frame deep, which is painted light green, and replace it with my 10-frame deep, which is painted white.

If I see eggs tomorrow, is it safe to swap boxes? Or is there still...
See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.