Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
William:

Good update- sorry to hear about the colony failure. All-in-all it sounds like things are going well in your apiary and I like your idea of experimenting with a few side-by-side comparisons. I'll look forward to reading about your notes and conclusions.

Haven't done any feeding here yet but based on the amount of drawn comb in a few of the new swarm starts I may need to think long-and-hard about it...

Keep up the good work-

Russ

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sounds like not so much a colony failure as a colony that successfully reproduced several new colonies.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Russ:

Thanks for the encouragement! BTW, my conclusion is that bee keeping is a bunch of hard work. :)

Got the feeder on the Warre and its base replaced. Also pulled the bottom box which was not being used due to the window cover missing. Will make a new one and add it back later.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds like not so much a colony failure as a colony that successfully reproduced several new colonies.

At least two. Doubtful that the secondary swarm was large enough to make it but who knows. Seemed like a lot of bees in the air, but the wife who witnessed both it and the primary swarm said it was tiny in comparison.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
BTW, my conclusion is that bee keeping is a bunch of hard work. :)
Welcome to the age of enlightenment. Beekeeping is fun, most of the time, but it is hard work.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Litsinger: Love it! And the "English for Beekeepers" section, spent way too much time over there.

GregV: Guess I should not discuss the current book I'm reading then.:rolleyes: Odd thing is when I bought the book a few months ago, had *no* non-standard hives. His version is however much closer to what I now wish my two top bars were.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
... And the "English for Beekeepers" section, spent way too much time over there.
William:

I have to be honest- I had never read that section of the website until you mentioned it. As a fledgling grammarian, I found this very satisfying.

I also learned that I am supposed to call them ' honey bees' rather than 'honeybees'...

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Litsinger:

Now you have me wanting to go back and finish reading her site.:no:

Feeding crisis is over. Researched humming bird feeders here on this forum and bought a slightly different style for the in-laws. Also using peppermint oil as a repellent. This tip was from the owner of a small start up bee keeping supply that opened up near me a few months ago. (Only five miles!) Did not have any Bee-Quick or Honey-B-Gone but his suggestion apparently works.

Not feeding any hives at the moment but will feed the one that got none if and when my duck bill feeders ever get here. Only other option is to move them to a lang and fill the excess space with foam.

Got my electric fence turn on for the first time! If I can find it will update the thread I started months ago. Many months ago when I first started it:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Starting to see differences in my new Dunwoody bees verses the ones from Tpope. The two I have been monitoring for mites have very low counts. Daily 0s to occasionally 3s. The VSH nuc is the very best but the caught swarm hive is close behind. Finally got a sticky board made for the Warre and it was a 23 for its very first count then a 10 today.

Tpope hive had been averaging 12s for a several weeks then it shot up to a 27 followed by 13, 18, 23 and 21 today. Not in 'Danger Will Robinson!' territory yet but I am concerned.

Another difference is temperament, nadired my first lang last weekend. (Intrigued by the management of a Warre not the size...) Wanted to save some drawn comb from my recent dead out before the wax moths got them, so put a deep under the strongest 'new' hive. Found they are quite pissy and require smoke. 8 or 9 'through the suit' stings while I was working on it. Then 2 more Wednesday (with smoke) just fixing a misaligned entrance reducer. Probably would have went better if I had added the box three weeks ago while I was feeding them.

Saturday daughter and son-in-law worked on a second (non electric...) fence in front of the hives for several hours with no problem. I walked out to see them (no suit) and got got nailed in the ear within seconds. They also hold a long grudge and recognize people. None of the stings, even the ear, was nearly as painful as the bumble bee a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Starting to see differences in my new Dunwoody bees verses the ones from Tpope.
William:

Thank you for your posts- I look forward to comparing notes with you on mite drop counts at various points in the season and over the development life-cycle of a particular colony.

It is of great interest to me personally to see if there are any particular trends that seem to emerge with the modicum of resistance that seems to manifest itself in some populations here in the Southeast- at least anecdotally.

Is it controlling mite population growth, tolerance to vectored viruses, hygienic behavior a combination of all or something else entirely?

Thanks for sharing what you are observing.

Russ

21 - 33 of 33 Posts