Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
379 Posts
It's head looks different. Like it's mandibles are longer and eyes are closer to mandibles and at a different angle?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,122 Posts
Certainly a honey bee.

Like people not all bees are created equally as far as color, shape, and size. In fact, larvae and pupae will grow to the size of their cells. I once installed some longer drawn cells that were used for honey in a brood chamber and got longer bees. If you have curved wax foundation you may get short bees on one side and long bees on the other. I've seen it both ways which is why I'm mostly foundationless now.

If you look into the history of large cell foundation, humans took advantage of this to make a bigger bee able to forage certain flowers that smaller bees could not. This lead to standard 5.4mm foundation where bees typically draw 4.9 if left to do it on their own. Typically.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
379 Posts
I think its a leafcutter bee. Not sure but just seen one while browsing on youtube and it looks alot like that.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My bees love asparagus. It is a honey bee.

·
Registered
324 Posts
See if you can get a couple more pics from different angles. Head/eyes/mandibles don't look like a honey bee. Flat, extended abdomen resembles a leafcutter but they carry pollen on ventral side of abdomen. Possibly a type of 'miner bee', but that's just a guess after looking at some pics of bees native to your region.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts