Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found this on a bee. I put the bee in a ziplock in the freezer for a few seconds and it fell off. Bee was then released. It is hard to tell if it has 6 legs and two antena or 8 legs. When it walks the two appendages in front are not really used they are held out like antenna.
I know there is an insect that looks a lot like varoa, with 6 legs instead oif 8.

Here is a picture I have been trying to compare to mine. This is varoa. Notice the last photo has 8 legs and 2 small antenna:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the bug we found:

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The first pic looks like baby sea anemone. Do I win a Beesource tshirt?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks to me like your bees have a case of the crabs...:lpf:But this is my first year so I wouldn;t listen to me.

Blueline

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it was too...

Very strange.
Before we got bees we never saw a honey bee anywhere around - still don't other than ours.

This is the first one seen in about 1.25 years. We did just requeen and the queen had attendants. I guess we should put some oil on the edges of the draws and see. I look at the bottom board pretty consistant and have never seen one before.

Drone comb if we see more I guess.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know how long varoa can live? It would be good to know the life span of a varoa - to the point that they can't lay eggs.

Mike

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
here is a you tube link that another beek gave me.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7304562435786960616#

It gives a good idea on why they call the varroa the "Varroa Destructor"
Here is another website and it talks of ways to test and the economic thresholds for varroa during certain times of the year.
Please note that these thresholds might not be tha same for you IN RELATION to the time of year.
You might have to move the months around abit
These tresholds are based on a flow in July and August and a winter starting in October to March.
http://www.capabees.com/main/files/pdf/varroathreshold.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts