Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont really want to buy an extractor for one hive and a few frames of honey. Im using plastic frames. Whats an easy effective way to extract the honey from these without an extracto

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Get one of those large plastic chest type containers at a discount store. Remove the caps from the honeycomb, put comb back in bee box, turn it all upside down over the plastic container, in a warm room. Leave it a few days, the honey will slowly drain out and you'll get to reuse the drawn comb. I've not tried this myself. I've heard both good and bad on how well it works.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Ray,
I'm one that didn't have good luck with that method, left them upside down over 24 hours at 100F. Maybe the honey here is thicker than some other peoples.

Just for information, my oven with only the light on is about 100F, might be helpful if you want to try it.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Hi Dan, yea, I've never tried it myself, so sounds like it really does not work well from what you are saying. It may work better with honey from east of The Rockies as more humid there so thinner honey than we get here. I dunno myself.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Get one of those large plastic chest .... I've heard both good and bad on how well it works.
So I tried that and after a week we finished one frame. So I bought a Maxant 1400. From one extreme to the other. You know what they say ".... or get off the pot" so I took the plunge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.