Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas on hive numbering. I have in the past painted my hive numbering with stencils. Now you wouldn't think there could be any mistakes with this...

Any suggestions? I was kicking around the idea of ear tags screwed on to the front. Anybody have alternatives?

Color and numbers? Year and number? At least if I have the number screwed on to the hive I can take it off and it can follow the bees not the super.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That's what I do, ear tags, color for queen batch, number for year. 31, 32, last year. This year 41, 42, etc... But I'm up for any improvements.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm stationary so I just number the bench. Then my notes are for hive #x on bench y. I don't post notes on the hive itself--just in my trusty notebook. Never could get with my PDA for this even though that's what it was bought for. I'm just old-fashioned, I guess. ;) Heaven help me if I ever lose that notebook!

Rusty

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you do some research most cattle ear tags have an insecticide built into them like the old shell strips. we use numbered alum tags from a forestry supply catalog. tags are put on the bottom board as this is a more permanent part of the colony.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you do some research most cattle ear tags have an insecticide built into them like the old shell strips. we use numbered alum tags from a forestry supply catalog. tags are put on the bottom board as this is a more permanent part of the colony.
This is totally inaccurate. I have worked at a farmer's cooperative for over 25 years and have never seen numbered ID tags that have an insecticide in them. Both Allflex and Y-Tex make such tags in a variety of sizes and colors.

There are fly tags that you can buy that are impregnated with insecticides, but these aren't numbered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife has a vinyl cutter and she just cut me a bunch of numbers. I stick those on one of the hive bodies and I reference that number in my journal.

I don't number my supers. In my case, the supers just go with the hive number until I'm done with them.

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts

From day one I have always hand painted mine with a brush.
I make my lids from scratch in the off season in big batches.
I have come to enjoy setting in a chair and numbering lids freehand while sipping coffee and listening to the radio.
AND, I have got really, really good at freehanding numbers!!
Also, I like my numbers to be large enough that you can see them from a good distance.
I have a paper hanging from a bulletin board that I keep current of what my next number is. On that list, I write down the numbers of crumby lids that are tossed on the burn pile.
That way all numbers stay in use.
:)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I am looking for ideas on hive numbering. I have in the past painted my hive numbering with stencils. Now you wouldn't think there could be any mistakes with this...

Any suggestions? I was kicking around the idea of ear tags screwed on to the front. Anybody have alternatives?

Color and numbers? Year and number? At least if I have the number screwed on to the hive I can take it off and it can follow the bees not the super.
For what purpose?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

From day one I have always hand painted mine with a brush.
I make my lids from scratch in the off season in big batches.
I have come to enjoy setting in a chair and numbering lids freehand while sipping coffee and listening to the radio.
AND, I have got really, really good at freehanding numbers!!
Also, I like my numbers to be large enough that you can see them from a good distance.
I have a paper hanging from a bulletin board that I keep current of what my next number is. On that list, I write down the numbers of crumby lids that are tossed on the burn pile.
That way all numbers stay in use.
:)
My lids get mixed up quite frequently. I do like the idea, but moving lids happens too much in my apiary. I like the strapping. What are you using for strapping if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i don't number, but write important info on the lid. if i lose a queen the lid gets put back on the stack and the nuc i use to requeen comes with its lid and its info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts